View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 01:05 PM

Standard strap buttons, of course, with their small shaft and ample flange. The problem with the pickup endpin strapjacks is a stylish but tiny bezel trim nut. The groove that retains the strap is narrower than the thickness of many leather strap ends, so the strap isn't secure and can easily slip off over the completely inadequate flange. My Gurian has slipped off pretty often, as it's had the same strap for many years and is thus a bit stretched out. Once a cable is plugged in, of course, the plug will keep the instrument from falling, but I've had the strap come loose while lifting the guitar over my head to put it on. Firm grip on the neck avoided disaster, but it's still disconcerting (never good at a concert...).

And many of the locking strap systems won't work because they're designed to close around a standard strap button and are too small to fit in the strapjack bezel's groove. The string-y things and little dongles with a second pin are kludgey Band-Aids on a design flaw.

IMHO, this should be on the manufacturers of the aftermarket pickups. Use the standard bezel if you sit down to play, and have an alternative bezel designed like the Acoustic Strap Secure for standup players. I could certainly imagine a moment with both hands off the guitar (say, adjusting a vocal mic, turning a page on a music stand, or reaching for the cable plug) and a nudge on the strap allowing your fragile work of art to drop several feet onto a concrete floor. It's a big deal.