View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFretWear View Post
The problem with these Murphy Lab J-45s and Hummingbirds is that the real vintage ones they're modeled after aren't that much more expensive, but are 10 times the guitars the new ones are.
Compare that to the Martin Authentics, and you get a closer guitar in tone and the price difference between new and vintage is magnitudes higher.
All that to say, I don't get why people buy these expensive new Gibson vintage replicas....

I have and have had vintage guitars. Just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it’s good. Some of them are a royal pain in the *** requiring neck resets, bridge replacement, bracing repair, cleats on cracks, bellying/sinking top repair, etc. not to mention basic things like refrets, nut and saddle replacement. I’ve also had some vintage pieces that didn’t need much at all. Point is, it’s harder to find a vintage Gibson that doesn’t need at least some work. And there’s no way a mint condition 1960 Hummingbird that plays and sounds amazing is going to cost anywhere near what I paid for my new Hummingbird 1960 fixed bridge.

While buying a new vintage reissue guitar isn’t the same as the real thing, I honestly believe Gibson and Martin are putting great effort into making these recent Custom Shop guitars really great. I don’t think anyone is saying they’re the same the vintage guitars they are modeled after, rather they try to use many of the same specs, materials and build methods. A great guitar is a great guitar and some of these Gibson Custom Shop reissues are stellar.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.