View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Played a Few Murphy Lab Gibson Acoustics Yesterday/Today -- My Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFretWear View Post
The problem with these Murphy Lab J-45s and Hummingbirds is that the real vintage ones they're modeled after aren't that much more expensive, but are 10 times the guitars the new ones are.
Compare that to the Martin Authentics, and you get a closer guitar in tone and the price difference between new and vintage is magnitudes higher.
All that to say, I don't get why people buy these expensive new Gibson vintage replicas....
That’s your opinion. I have not played a vintage 1960 hummingbird that played or sounded as good as the Murphy lab one that I just purchased. It’s a new guitar without the issues of a sixty year old instruments. I like that.

I’m not all that interested in vintage guitars. I get the allure, but I don’t often vibe with vintage Gibsons.

I also really enjoy the tone. I don’t need to validate what I like - everyone is different. But to me, this is like buying an old house with the vibe and craftsmanship - but with new HVAC and electric. I get all the benefits of both the vintage sound and new construction in one Guitar. Mesh that with the fact that I think it legitimately sounds excellent and I really like it, it is worth it to me

Also, to me, there’s not a single hummingbird that I have played that was this good. Let alone 10 times as good.