View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
IĀ’ll post this review of my impressions of the ML guitars that IĀ’ve played over the last two weeks at Cream City music in Brookfield WI. I posted these thoughts in the Acoustic Letter video thread. Clearly different instruments can render different overall impressions. Also, I think Brendan and I hear different things so itĀ’s always nice to get a counterpoint. This summer I posted a thread in the classifieds about wanting an OM-28 1937 authentic. Brencat kindly private messaged me with his caution about that particular instrument feeling that the Madagascar made the model seem to dry to him and that he wasnĀ’t a big fan of the model. Well I turned out to buy one anyway in UMGF and itĀ’s my favorite guitar of all time.

ThatĀ’s all to say that I love discourse that happens here and the opinions being expressed. Brendan always seems to be level headed, not wanting to state opinion as fact - and there are a lot of people here who do the same.

I donĀ’t think these will be hot ticket items for people who donĀ’t play them in person. ItĀ’s hard to imagine buying a new Gibson in the $6k range without having it make you buy it in person. But I am not mincing words in saying I honestly think the four Murphy acoustics that I played are the best new Gibson acoustics of each respective guitarĀ’s model that IĀ’ve ever played.
Fair points by Chris here, and yeah I’m still stunned he found the OM-28 Authentic 1931 to be his best guitar ever (I played 5 of them, also owned one for 6 mos, and hated them all). That said, I’m primarily a flatpicker — 99% of what I play are fiddle tunes, or strumming to 90s grunge and classic rock songs. I don’t do any fingerstyle or fingerpicking, which is what an OM excels at. Volume, bass response, and a complex nuanced voice particularly in the mids and upper mids are paramount.

My recent Russo visits only reinforced my view that Gibsons are incredibly variable from guitar to guitar, and probably should be played first before buying to ensure you’re getting the type of guitar that suits you personally.