View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Prices for used intruments rose during the pandemic when many people were home and took up new hobbies, including playing guitar. Home gym equipment soared in price too. Both peaked late 2021, imo, and prices and availability have been steadily improving.

Lately, it seems the used market has slowed, with guitars taking a lot longer to sell, certainly on AGF. But aspirational pricing by sellers also has a lot to do with that dynamic. On any given day I look at the classifieds here, around 80% is overpriced relative to fair market value (FMV). Sellers pricing their guitars with wiggle room expecting to haggle should bear in mind that many buyers, myself included, will not even bother contacting them if they are too far away from FMV, because I don't want to be bothered. If you're $200-300 away, I can work with you, but $800 - $1000 too high especially on a boutique item, you're not a serious individual to me and I move on.
Curious how you determine FMV since that is not an objective standard. Also - everyone should realize that *prices* are just invitations for offers. The idea that all terms are predetermined on an AGF post is inaccurate.