View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercurio View Post
I too have heard about fish glue being susceptible to humidity, but have also heard it being used successfully (it seems a lot use it for joining the plates to the sides, which makes sense given its longer set time). I've seen some claim that they used it for the entire build, but those are scattered and have little detail on if there has ever been an issue later on.

As regards Old Brown Glue, I have not seen any actual data to substantiate that it is not as strong as HHG. It seems that if you use it as intended (heat it up, clamp it, and give it around 24 hours to cure), that it shouldn't have any less strength than 192g HHG. I've even seen one test showing it was stronger than HHG, but none showing it as inferior. So I'm really curious if this is just theory (because it contains urea), or if it's been demonstrated through some kind of testing.
A good friend and peer (who shall remain nameless) shipped two guitars to Singapore of which the top braces were joined with FG. Two weeks later both tops imploded due to multiple glue joint failures. He had to eat the shipping $$$ cost $$$ both ways, then replace both tops $$$ and never used FG again. We ship a fair amount of guitars to high humidity countries and his experience was reason enough for me to never use FG.

I never said Old Brown Glue wasn’t as strong. I said it doesn’t dry as hard as HHG. It’s simple to measure the hardness with a durometer gage.