View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If someone can't play 4 or 5 chords in a simple 100 bpm strumming tune without making mistakes and hesitating, spending time learning right hand finger style technique is a bit of putting the cart before the horse.
I've been playing guitar off and on for 15+ years and never have learned to string together cowboy chords and strum at 100bpm. I may never get around to it, there's always been other stuff that's more interesting than putting in a few hundred hours on the chord thing.

What I've had to do when learning tunes that involve chord shapes is to isolate each particular little series of triads in a specific tune and woodshed those changes for a week or so until I get them. In theory, if I'd started out by do the "cowboy chord strumming" thing for a year or so it would save me having to do that. But I'm satisfied with needing to stop and do little sequences as I come to them.

When I was doing fingerstyle/classical guitar (circa 2009) I spent most of my time in altered tunings where the shapes I was using didn't really derive from conventional open-position chords anyway.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"