View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
You obviously have more experience with these guitars and a much better eye than I do. I own, as example, an Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano. I know for a fact it was built in New Jersey and not one made by Antonio Cerrito or one of the other builders of the NYC Italian Guild and then sold by Schmidt. Based on outward appearance, a Cerrito looks very much like an upper end Schmidt Sovereign. It is the structure that though which tells the story - the neck joint, bracing and such.

Mugwumps List of Fretted Instrument Makers shows the Globe-Meisel trademark first appearing in 1885 but gives no place of manufacture. So where these early guitars were bult is anybody's guess. They then list Globe Music Co. as being in Chicago from 1898 until 1940.

I've had a number of Schmidt built Galiano's as well as guitars by Cerrito, Ciani, Netunno and others. One thing you'll find with these "Italian Guild" guitars is that some of them actually have higher end Schmidt built bodies. I've seen several that were obviously Schmidts with fancier necks etc.... I guess when I'm talking about New York built guitars, I lump Schmidt in with them, even though they were across the river. I'm currently working on a really cool 15" flat top Ciani that was made at the time John D'angelico was running the shop! All very cool instruments and the Globe's that I have seen don't really resemble them at all on inspection from either a design or build standpoint.

As for Mugwumps. It's a very cool resource for sure but I've found that it can be less than reliable. I wouldn't really trust a date that I saw on there unless they could site a source.