View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
I use a sponge in a zip bag with holes in it and distilled water. I don't know what that costs but its close to zero. I live in Colorado where the humidy in general ranges from 0-40%. Right now its 25% in my guitar room which is normal. And I've never had a problem.

My main rules are as follows.
1) store the guitar in its case
2) keep the guitar away from heated/ac vents (and away from open windows when its cold)
3) keep guitars away from direct sun and stored in the closet or under the bed etc.
4) any new to me guitar gets "overhumidified" at first and then is gradually allowed to acclimate to the normal schedule over months.

I used to be a lot more paranoid thanks to this forum. I think its better to start off paranoid than be disappointed by a cracked guitar. Anyway, I've become much more lax with the sponges. On my martin you can physically see and feel the ripples in the grain as it dries. My biggest scare was one time during a wet spell. We get a good 2 week soak every 5 years or so and my guitars were starting to bulge due to natural humidy + sponge and I hadn't realized it. Now when its going to be rainy for more than 2 days I pull the sponges ahead of the storm.

I forgot to add I have the heating vent blocked off in the guitar room and when I'm in there the window is always at least a little cracked unless its below 0. You can look up the sponge/baggy humidifier on youtube just remember to use distilled water. If you run a wood stove you can put an old junky pot on with water to humidify too.
GREAT advice. Don't over think it. A little preemptive attention is all you need.