View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
My theory is that to keep the group together they would start to realize that George had a treasure trove of songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I was going to save "Imagine" for their second album that could’ve been...
There was unquestionably enormous talent within the group, but also enormous egos: I always saw "Imagine" as John's belated would-be counter to Paul's "Yesterday" (just as Paul's one-take screamer "Long Tall Sally" was a one-up on John's iconic performance on "Twist and Shout"), and for that reason alone I doubt it would have made it to a group album had there been one. Similarly, given John and Paul's well-known refusal to help George with his songwriting skills, and his emergence as a formidable craftsman in his own right, with a distinctive and very different compositional voice, would have placed the band's songwriting powerhouses in the position of "eating crow" - again an untenable state of affairs that IMO would have merely postponed, albeit briefly, the ultimate breakup of the band...