View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 03:28 PM

New Taylor GT 811e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ
Are folks that uncomfortable with a proper sized guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
To quote The Dude: "That's just like your opinion man"

I dislike giant guitars immensely. Unless you're spending a lot of time playing unamplified with banjos, basses, and other loud instruments there is no earthly reason you need a ginormous, ugly, and boomy dread or jumbo that takes up lots of space, is uncomfortable to play seated, and is way too bassy.

> I dislike giant guitars immensely.

> Unless you're spending a lot of time playing unamplified with banjos, basses, and other loud instruments there is no earthly reason you need a ginormous, ugly, and boomy dread or jumbo that takes up lots of space, is uncomfortable to play seated, and is way too bassy.

> ginormus

"It's in the way that you use it" - Eric Clapton

> ugly

The jumbo shape and overall build, especially of the Gibson J-200 variety, is one of the most iconic and recognizable in the guitar world. And they are beautiful looking instruments.

> boomy dread or jumbo

Don't have any dreads, so only speaking for jumboes from here on out, but I find the jumbo shape produces a very well-balanced sound. And that Includes my rosewood Taylor Grand Orchestra (a reworking of and a replacement for their discontinued Jumbo). I use Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - '053) on them and any boominess is not very noticeable, if indeed present at all.

> that takes up lots of space

There's only a 1" difference in the lower bout of a 17" jumbo and a 16" Grand Auditorium or similar model. There's not a lot of difference in the area of the footprint of one of these whether laid flat or standing upright or hanging on the wall. And not all jumbo shaped guitars have that 17" bout either. And many are less than 17" wide and 5" deep.

> is uncomfortable to play seated

One of the features of a jumbo is the relatively narrow waist. Makes for a nice reverse U shape to lay on your left or right leg that has no slip/slide to it either. And a Gibson J-200 only measures about 4" from that external point resting on your leg to the edge of the soundhole. It actually sits low on your lap and is very easy to play.

> way too bassy

OK there's something fishy with this. I think it's that 'bassy' is not a word found in a dictionary, so I will presume it refers to the sound of a guitar and not to a freshwater fish.
My jumboes have decent bass but do not dominate the sounds of any of my guitars, but blend in very nicely with their fellow strings. Remember that Elixir PB HD gauge I mentioned? Medium treble strings combined with Light bass strings. Smooth. And it doesn't hurt that I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

And I'm not sure what so-called "giant" guitars have anything to do with a thread on a Taylor GT 811e, especially without making guitar comparisons.

Just for informational purposes, I am an average size guy and don't have any problems playing larger guitars.

So to sum up, to each his own.

De gustibus non disputandum.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-26-2020 at 03:55 PM.