View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, but Don Young at the National Reso-Phonic Guitar Company and I discussed this, back in the early 2000's when I was working with him and MacGregor Gaines to develop the National RM-1 mandolin. I asked him exactly this same question, and Don told me you can use any strings you want. The guitar just needs to be set up for it.

When Bob Brozman published his book about Nationals he wrote that anything less than medium gauge strings could "damage" National guitars. Don rolled his eyes as he told me this, and said that the next time he and Mac spoke to Brozman they said: "Oh, come ON, Bob!"

Short version: yes, National guitars and other resonator instruments are customarily strung with medium gauge strings or heavier when dropped tunings are used, but there's nothing wrong with using lighter strings, either. You just need to make sure the guitar is set up for the strings that you choose to use.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Don told me the same thing, and then proceded to set my National M2 up for the same light gauge acoustic guitar strings that I used on my acoustics 012 thru .054. He even compensated my biscuit saddle for me, specifically for the tuning I generally use to play slide, GGDGBD.