View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I am not sure that you understood the questions that I was asking. But I thank you for trying to answer nevertheless. I was trying to understand the concept of a transposing instrument.
You seemed to be having trouble with this part of his answer so I was addressing only that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Although...

I knew that the center of the piano is at middle C; C4 @ 261.63. So you are saying that the guitar is represented by C5 @ 523.25? Even though a C chord sounded in 1st position is a C2, while a C on the 5th string is a C3 and on the 2nd string an octave higher a C4. At least if my tuner is to be believed.

Or am I overthinking this...?
The point is the pitch/frequency of any given note doesn't change. That part is constant. How that pitch/frequency is represented on sheet music for any particular instrument is what changes. In the case of guitar sheet music and piano sheet music, the notes being represented on the sheet music are an octave apart when played.

Consider this...
A piccolo player, for example, plays notes that would be found at the far right on a piano keyboard. The highest note on a piccolo is 4 octaves above middle C. Try imagine how that would look on treble clef sheet music if middle C was represented by the note written on line below the staff. Sheet music for a piccolo would be impossible to read easily if it were written in a way that represented the notes the same as where you find them on a piano. So the notes are adjusted so they can fall more on the lines rather than way over the lines.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 04-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.