View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 03:52 AM

Default Noob Learning: Not very musically inclined -- but that's ok

I know lots of people here "love" music, not just acoustic guitars. When I go and see live music and speak to band members, I can tell they're different from me.

I'm more of your average music person. I listen to my tunes in the car on the way to work, or when I'm out running errands. If I go for a walk in the morning I'll listen to tunes. I may listen at home, but often doing other things. Haven't grown up studying music, or playing instruments...just getting into guitar now in my 40's.

So for me, I approach guitar with a few interests: a) I want to strum and pick those chords to make nice harmonies and get that warm feeling inside; b) I want to learn music, to a degree, because I like to learn new things; c) and I want to, for myself, play some familiar riffs from songs I've loved for years...when I learn these things I get that nice sense of accomplishment.

I don't want to perform for others. I don't even like singing, in general or while playing my guitar.

Anyway, just wanted to share this viewpoint and see if some of the other folks here have a similar interest, but in general just to hear about others' approaches to learning, reasons for playing the guitar--what gets you warm and fuzzy