View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbolaya View Post
I love guitars and exotic wood, but I disagree with this.
We are the consumers of these tropical woods.
Rainforests have been cut down for years and now we have climate issues which are related. Some say climate issues will be much more devestating than the 17.5 trillion we owe.
CITES is a logical policy to curb over harvesting, poaching, waste, and the financial draw that will entice every Brazilian with a saw or ax.
Granted, guitars use less wood than say the furniture business, but we are one more source that is putting dollars behind the cutting.
At some point we need to bite the bullet and say we are done with BRW for a while (much like we have already done with tortoise shell picks). There are other great options. But really, most of us need to just play the guitars we already own.
-J
Perhaps I failed to mention that their wood came from old furniture...real old. So I disagree with not being able to use something that has already been harvested. You can get into an environmental, and economics debate, but I try to deal more in reality. Reality is small builders using old BRW that was harvested before you were probably born is not the issue and never has been the issue. Also, I have a more imminent fear of repaying 17.5 trillion than I do of being burnt up by the sun.

2013 Rockbridge slope