View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Default New to the site. Need some advice

Hello all! My name is Alex. I am currently interested in buying a guitar, but I need some help.

I currently play the charango. I'm currently living in Bolivia and have had classes. So I got the fingerstyle or fingerpicking down. I've grown my nails to a comfortable level, not to long, to play the instrument. I use the thumb for the 5th and 4th strings, index for 3rd, middle for 2nd, and ring for the first string.

So I want to learn the guitar and mostly strum songs and play the blues. So for the blues there are many bends, hammer ons, pull offs, and tremolo. I've been told that for most of that I should buy an acoustic guitar with steel strings. The problem is that here in Bolivia there are mosty classical or spanish guitars with the nylon string.

I wish to continue fingerpicking if i buy a guitar, steel or nylon stringed. Does anyone here fingerpick on steel strings? If I buy a nylon string guitar will the blues sound different? Or can I do the same effects on the nylon string without any problems?

Any response is greatly appriciated!