View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

New mandolins are sometimes distressed (that's the term used in the mandolin world). Gibson's most expensive new models are their distressed master model mandolins, aged to look like a vintage Loar. I've never understood the appeal. I think in the violin world there's a certain distain for new instruments because "quality" and "professional" are so strongly associated with violins from the 1700s. But this seems a bit silly to me when the goal is to make a new instrument look like one that's 80 years old; especially when you consider that an 80-year-old instrument that looks brand new (and is original) would be worth more than one that has taken a beating over the years. I, too, like the look of natural aging. It's kind of like the character you see on the faces of some older people. But I wouldn't recommend that a teenager try to simulate that look as a beauty enhancement. Age and youth both have their charms in people and instruments. trying to feign either seems like a bad idea to me. Just my opinion, though and I'm cool with people doing whatever they like to their instruments.