View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
You need a J-45 "type" guitar made by Collings, Santa Cruz, or Borgeois; you'll be happy. Santa Cruz probably comes the closest with their SJ and VJ models, they have "that" sound.
This hasn't been my experience. I've had a few modern Gibson's, including a 1997 Historic Collection J-45, and currently have a 1949 Southern Jumbo. I've also played probably 25-30 other Gibson slope dreads in the last few years, both old and new, so I do have something to compare to.

I also have an SC VSD and have played a number of other SC slope dreads, including a few VJ's. While my VSD is a great guitar that I will never part with, it doesn't come close to the classic Gibson J-45 funk, and neither did any of the other SC dreads that I've had the good fortune to play. SC's seem to me to have way more overtones than any Gibson I ever heard. Understand I'm a big fan of both, but no SC I've ever heard comes close to a J45. I'm not saying they're at complete opposite ends of the tonal spectrum, but maybe in different ballpark's playing different games. Not a bad thing for either one, but not comparable either.

I can't say from experience whether the same applies to Bougouis and Collings. If you want a good J45, they're out there, you just have to look. I don't think your going to find it buying another makers guitar though.

Just my opinion of course and anyone's mileage may and probably will vary.