View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
funny this should come up because last weekend I went to Grandma's Music in Albuquerque. They had a wall full of Canadian made Gibson guitars. I only knew they were Canadian because they didn't resemble any Gibson models I am familiar with and when I looked in the sound hole the label said "made in Canada." They were all priced about $499 or $599, there were a couple of different body shapes in a couple of different wood combinations, I picked up three or four and strummed a few chords and quickly put them back, they all sounded like $499 guitars, and definitely did not have the characteristic Gibson tone or look. It is highly unlikely that I would ever purchase one.
I don't think Gibson is trying for the characteristic Gibson tone with these, but for something completely different, and at a much less expensive price point. The real question is, at least to me, whether they sounded good for a four or five hundred dollar guitar, not whether they sounded like a standard Gibson.

Since they' will be competing with inexpensive Chinese imports (including Gibson's Epiphone Masterbuilt series), I think this is going to be a tough sell. A bit unfair to compare them to Gibson's regular line of acoustics though, since obviously that's not what they are intended to be.