The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's the deal with the Element pickup? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685245)

JackB1 04-30-2024 10:33 AM

What's the deal with the Element pickup?

There seems to be 2 versions of this pickup...One with just a volume wheel and one with a volume AND tone wheel. LR Baggs shows the volume only one on their website and there's no mention of the other one?? Anyone know what the deal is with this and is there any tonal difference besides the obvious extra tone control?

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1000w
https://media.sweetwater.com/m/produ...790db68295b20c

Petty1818 04-30-2024 10:58 AM

A lot of companies offer a variety of options. Tonally speaking, there should not be a difference. Baggs also has the VTC with the session built in. I would personally go with that as you get volume, tone and then the added warmth of the session preamp.

Monsum 04-30-2024 11:22 AM

I think there has always been a volume only element pickup but it used to look like this:

https://images.tcdn.com.br/img/img_p...85e7c5968a.jpg

Nick84 04-30-2024 12:11 PM

Yep they have an Element, Element VTC and Element Session which has volume and tone.

The tone control offers a bit of flexibility to dial in and out high end.

Simonix 04-30-2024 12:14 PM

I believe that the element VTC (with tone control) also has some compression built into the circuit as well.

I read that is what the C stands for.

jricc 04-30-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonix (Post 7452534)
I believe that the element VTC (with tone control) also has some compression built into the circuit as well.

Yes to this...I remember reading this somewhere Baggs-related, just can't remember where.

From Sweetwater's description, "the VTC pre-amp fills that sound with tape-like saturation, warmth, and a dynamic low-frequency EQ that compresses problematic frequencies as you play, an especially useful tool for stage musicians who want to avoid fiddling with knobs in between songs."

Medford Guitar 04-30-2024 01:32 PM

I have the Element VTC in my J-45 and I am very impressed with this UST

jonfields45 04-30-2024 03:01 PM

If the VTC has compression, which is a nonlinear function, it is not compatible with an IR (e.g. ToneDexter or my IRs).

Groberts 04-30-2024 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 7452504)
A lot of companies offer a variety of options. Tonally speaking, there should not be a difference. Baggs also has the VTC with the session built in. I would personally go with that as you get volume, tone and then the added warmth of the session preamp.

FYi - I had a Session VTC in my recent Gibson Songwriter Custom EC Ebony. I just swapped it out and had a full Baggs Anthem installed. Yeah, I'm an Anthem fan boy but man, it sounds better! The Session VTC was better than the Element VTC but it was kinda harsh to my ears.

Rudy4 05-01-2024 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonix (Post 7452534)

That is correct, and is the main differance between the basic Element Active and the VTC Element Active pickup, as per the Baggs website. Many are confused about the two pickups, naturally assuming that VTC stands for "Volume / Tone Control".

The "C" part refers to the built-in compressor which effectively controls low frequency content of the pickup.

This from the Baggs website:

"Multi-band compression has long been a secret of mastering rooms worldwide to unlock the warmth and natural dynamics of recorded instruments. The Element VTC’s all-discrete, Class A preamp leverages this studio elixir with a proprietary analog compressor that operates below 400Hz. The compressor is tuned to reflect the actual dynamics of the acoustic guitar, creating in live performance the superior warmth and natural balance of tone achieved in professional studio mastered sound. Includes soundhole mounted volume and treble tone controls."

Petty1818 05-01-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groberts (Post 7452795)
FYi - I had a Session VTC in my recent Gibson Songwriter Custom EC Ebony. I just swapped it out and had a full Baggs Anthem installed. Yeah, I'm an Anthem fan boy but man, it sounds better! The Session VTC was better than the Element VTC but it was kinda harsh to my ears.

I am with you there, Anthem all the way. I just meant that if the OP is set on the Element as a single source system then the Session VTC is probably the way to go. Actually the Seymour Duncan Wavelength is even better. Same pickup but the 18v preamp makes a huge difference.

seannx 05-01-2024 11:33 AM

This is a little off topic, but I have an element pickup installed in my RainSong, with a barn door configuration. Is it possible to upgrade it to an anthem using the same controls in the barn door unit?

Nick84 05-01-2024 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannx (Post 7453082)
This is a little off topic, but I have an element pickup installed in my RainSong, with a barn door configuration. Is it possible to upgrade it to an anthem using the same controls in the barn door unit?

I’m pretty sure there’s a stage anthem which is the same barn door style so it would be a straight swap out

JackB1 05-02-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 7453080)
I am with you there, Anthem all the way. I just meant that if the OP is set on the Element as a single source system then the Session VTC is probably the way to go. Actually the Seymour Duncan Wavelength is even better. Same pickup but the 18v preamp makes a huge difference.

Isn't the Session VTC a barndoor type?

Groberts 05-02-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7453716)
Isn't the Session VTC a barndoor type?

I just replace a Session VTC. It is not a barn door. The sound hole control panel is shaped like the full Baggs Anthem.