The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Scraping Binding & Antiquing Your Gibson Acoustic Guitars | The Process S2 EP8 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683733)

darylcrisp 03-25-2024 06:39 PM

Scraping Binding & Antiquing Your Gibson Acoustic Guitars | The Process S2 EP8

interesting video that shows a lot of hands on work still done on Gibson acoustics. Also shows the importance of female workers now and in decades past. Excellent video irregardless if you are a Gibson owner or not.

jt1 03-25-2024 07:17 PM

Thank you for posting this.

I was, unfortunately, involved. Gibson guitar company reached out to me. The company asked for permission to use the classic Kalamazoo Gals photo of women guitar makers standing in front of the Gibson factory in 1944. "Sure," I naively responded. "But you need to credit the Gals and me and link to my site and the Kalamazoo Gals book site." A Gibson minion responded, "Of course! And we'll send you the link to the video when we post it." The minion did not send me the link. I Googled and found it. No reference to the Kalamazoo Gals. The speaker in the video, a Gibson VP to whom I gave a copy of my book said, "The history books call them the Gibson Gals." The history books don't address the issue because Gibson covered it up. No links. No reference to the Kalamazoo Gals except a tiny credit to me at the end of the video: "Kalamazoo Gals photo, John Thomas." No reference to my book. No, well, respect.

But my friends around the planet commented on the video on YouTube. In response, Gibson has kindly provided in the text below the YouTube video a link to the Kalamazoo Gals website and has changed "Gibson Gals" to "Kalamazoo Gals."

martingitdave 03-25-2024 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, the marketing folks don't always know the details of the stories they are telling or the products they are selling. Glad they made the corrections. They are making some nice guitars right now. But their prices are climbing to the point of not being a working man's guitar. They sell affordable models, but not their iconic ones.

sinistral 03-25-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1 (Post 7433628)

I was, unfortunately, involved. Gibson guitar company reached out to me. The company asked for permission to use the classic Kalamazoo Gals photo of women guitar makers standing in front of the Gibson factory in 1944. "Sure," I naively responded. "But you need to credit the Gals and me and link to my site and the Kalamazoo Gals book site." A Gibson minion responded, "Of course! And we'll send you the link to the video when we post it." The minion did not send me the link. I Googled and found it. No reference to the Kalamazoo Gals. The speaker in the video, a Gibson VP to whom I gave a copy of my book said, "The history books call them the Gibson Gals." The history books don't address the issue because Gibson covered it up. No links. No reference to the Kalamazoo Gals except a tiny credit to me at the end of the video: "Kalamazoo Gals photo, John Thomas." No reference to my book. No, well, respect.

But my friends around the planet commented on the video on YouTube. In response, Gibson has kindly provided in the text below the YouTube video a link to the Kalamazoo Gals website and has changed "Gibson Gals" to "Kalamazoo Gals."

Yeah, when one of the male employees says, “So for the last almost 130 years we’ve celebrated women in the workforce at Gibson…” it makes you wonder if they’ve read your book. Even after the book was published, Gibson seemed in denial that the Kalamazoo Gals existed. Perhaps it was because Gibson’s wartime production of guitars violated War Production Board restrictions? Who knows.

LAPlayer 03-25-2024 09:51 PM

Thanks Daryl. I couldn't do that. Wow.

ytse43 03-25-2024 11:43 PM

Thanks for sharing this video.
"Irregardless" = without/regard/without -- Pretty please, �� do not use this "word." ��

ytse43 03-25-2024 11:45 PM

People came "out of the woodworks" in the YT comments section complimenting your book!

colins 03-26-2024 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytse43 (Post 7433685)
Thanks for sharing this video.
"Irregardless" = without/regard/without -- Pretty please, �� do not use this "word." ��

Or write "complement" when one means "compliment" ;)

Great video, thanks for posting it Daryl. And it's nice that Gibson finally acknowledged John's book as promised; not that they had much choice given all the other comments about it.

jt1 03-26-2024 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytse43 (Post 7433686)
People came "out of the woodworks" in the YT comments section complementing your book!

Yes. Certainly made me feel good.

ytse43 03-26-2024 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7433687)

Great video, thanks for posting it Daryl. And it's nice that Gibson finally acknowledged John's book as promised; not that they had much choice given all the other comments about it.

You caught me! Can't recall if that was me, or autocorrect. "Complement" ALMOST works. But darn, the emoji I tried to use, did not work. "Pretty please" (cherry--not cheery)

fazool 03-26-2024 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1 (Post 7433628)

John,

Yours is an amazing book and great research done. I'm sorry to hear that Gibson was so thoughtless and ignorantly corporate in their behavior.

You are the better man.

ytse43 03-26-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7433687)

The YT comments section was a complement of compliments. Compromise complete.

colins 03-27-2024 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytse43 (Post 7434153)
The YT comments section was a complement of compliments. Compromise complete.

And neither of us wrote compliment's to denote the plural of compliment, so we can hold our heads high!

jt1 03-27-2024 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 7433732)
John,

Yours is an amazing book and great research done. I'm sorry to hear that Gibson was so thoughtless and ignorantly corporate in their behavior.

You are the better man.

Thank you, kind sir.

ytse43 03-27-2024 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colins (Post 7434285)
And neither of us wrote compliment's to denote the plural of compliment, so we can hold our heads high!

Ohhh, apostrophes! Autocorrect has really done a job on people.
The travesty that is "Its" and "It's" is especially head-shaking. I teach English in Japan, and almost anytime, ANYWHERE there is a word written in English that has a 's' at the end, an apostrophe WILL be present. As best as I can figure, this is due to the concept of plural being expressed differently in the Japanese language.