The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is a "concert" size (think Fender CC-60s for example) the best acoustic all 'rounder? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544574)

Optofonik 04-18-2019 11:02 PM

Is a "concert" size (think Fender CC-60s for example) the best acoustic all 'rounder?

Camping? Recording (think, sitting in a mix)? Relaxing on the couch at home noodling? "Jamming" in the living room with others playing acoustics?

I'm talking about size, not brand or price, so the CC-60S is used strictly as a size example. :)

Paddy1951 04-19-2019 06:25 AM

If I had to pick one size that covers most things well, it would be a grand auditorium. It is comfortable. Has the potential for great across the board response. It can be nearly as loud as a dreadnought. Should play well with others or for just you.

Others will have their own takes.

Concert sized guitars certainly have their place. I don't think they are the Swiss Army knives of guitars, however.

s2y 04-19-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy1951 (Post 6040353)
If I had to pick one size that covers most things well, it would be a grand auditorium. It is comfortable. Has the potential for great across the board response. It can be nearly as loud as a dreadnought. Should play well with others or for just you.

Others will have their own takes.

Concert sized guitars certainly have their place. I don't think they are the Swiss Army knives of guitars, however.

Agreed. Go a little bigger to get more volume and still retain most of the response of a concert.

RP 04-19-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy1951 (Post 6040353)
If I had to pick one size that covers most things well, it would be a grand auditorium. It is comfortable. Has the potential for great across the board response. It can be nearly as loud as a dreadnought. Should play well with others or for just you...

Very much agreed......

arlum 04-19-2019 07:12 AM

For a "do it all" I'd probably go with a 000. An "Auditorium". Basically the same shape as the Concert with added size to increase both volume and bass. Still smaller than a Dreadnought and much smaller than a Jumbo. Pretty much in the middle compared to other available sizes.

varmonter 04-19-2019 09:18 AM

I recently fell for a taylor grand concert.
712ce 12 fret . I think in this case the lutz top
which is a bit like adi and the 12 fret bridge placed
furthur back on the body just sounded great. In this case
i would say yes this guitar was a great "all rounder"

jseth 04-19-2019 02:55 PM

I feel that the Mini-Jumbo is the best all around size/shape for an acoustic guitar. Many builders/manufacturers have a similar model, but they all have different names for that size... Grand Symphony for Taylor, Concert Jumbo for Goodall, etc...

Big enough to deliver some serious bass and volume when wanted/needed, yet small enough to be comfortable in the lap and hands/arms... also small enough to have a very responsive top on it, which is a bonus for any sort of fingerstyle/single note work. Very balanced for tone, from highs to lows...

MWB5007 04-19-2019 03:26 PM

THE BEST ????? .....

Looks like a new agitator to me ......... :D

Just kidding, welcome to the forum.

justonwo 04-19-2019 03:33 PM

I think it depends what you do. Fingerstyle guys tend to like the OM and 000-12 size, and I'm mostly in that camp. But I also like larger guitars for that style, depending on what they are. My Fairbanks slope dread is fantastic for fingerstyle.

Strumming and flatpicking or singer/song writer stuff, it probably all depends what you're into. Chris Smither does a great job with his 000-12c, which is one of my very favorite platforms. James Taylor played Gibson slope shoulder dreads in the early days. Bluegrassers love dreadnoughts, and for good reason.