The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389764)

WineCaster 06-06-2015 08:08 PM

Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?

I've finally sold off the last of my electric guitar equipment to begin the pilgrimage to the promise land of simplicity. I'm looking for a lifer! The budget is $2200 and I'm in the hunt for a Gibson J45, but I don't know what variation of the J45 to go for. I'd be buying used and probably sight unseen which makes me a little nervous but I really don't have another option. I'll be buying online from GuitarCenter used stock so I'll at least be protected by their 30 day return policy.

Anyway, I'm torn between spending ~$1,800 for a used J45 Standard or upping to ~$2200 for a True Vintage model. I understand the True Vintage is brighter and perhaps offers more clarity (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I also know its lighter.

First of all, can anyone attest to the True Vintage being, in most factors, better than the Standard (worth the upgrade in budget)? Secondly, I'm worried that down the road the True Vintage may not stand up as well to the test of time (usage, warping, shrinkage, ect.) as the more heavily-built Standard would.

Can anyone shed some light on those concerns/questions?

duluthdan 06-06-2015 08:23 PM

I've been down that road - sold an '86 Les Paul Standard, and used the $ to buy a used 2009 J-45 TV in 2012. I take this guitar everywhere, it is my favorite of all the Martins and other Gibsons I have owned. Love the light build. Remember that many of the 1940 highly desirable Banner guitars were also rather lightly built, and there are plenty of those still around. The good used TVs are out there, good luck in your hunt.

Guest316 06-06-2015 09:40 PM

Hi WineCaster,

There's two things to know about Gibson:
  1. Gibson instruments will sound differently from guitar to guitar, even within the same model. One Gibson J-45 will sound quite different than the next J-45. Both may have excellent tones, but they may be very different. It's the nature of Gibson. It's a good thing.
  2. There is, generally speaking, no difference in quality of build and potential quality of tone from the least expensive to the most expensive production Gibson acoustic.
Therefore it is quite possible for the $1800 Standard to be better to your ears than the $2200 TV. It is extremely likely that their quality of build is nearly identical. So my suggestion is to try the less expensive of the two choices first. :)

yoni 06-06-2015 09:45 PM

day by day.

OleGibby58 06-06-2015 11:21 PM

Find the used Gibson you'd like in a shop like Elderly, or many others like them. Call and ask for a guy who knows Gibsons. Have him play it for you over the phone & ask him to describe its tone and condition to you.

Once you've done this enough times to decide (it may take only one go), buy that guitar, get it and play it for years and years and don't go on the Internet asking about your guitar or wondering if it's 'OK'. Just play it.

That's what I did years ago and it's how I found my best guitars.

Guest 1511 06-07-2015 12:56 AM

I owned a TV model. Loved it. Miss it. I'm not sure I agree with the statement that it's brighter than the standard. Maybe some are, mine wasn't and neither was another one I played recently. They differ, significantly. I haven't played any bad ones, but I haven't played any two that sounded exactly the same either.

BTW, with some dickering you could get a new J-45 Standard for around $1800. Used they're around $1400.

The Custom model is superb as well. You'd have to like the rosewood sound though because it has that in abundance.

Buying before playing stinks though. But if you gotta do it, be prepared to maybe send a couple back before you're totally satisfied. I like another poster's idea of having someone demo models for you over the phone, or Skype or put a video on youtube. GC probably wouldn't do that though, but plenty others would.

brencat 06-07-2015 08:06 AM

Skip Guitar Center. Find a Gibson 5-star dealer instead. These dealers seem to get Gibson's choice inventory, plus their stock is in much better condition as a general rule. If you're buying over the phone, I can recommend Wildwood Guitars in CO. The staff are awesome there...and it's where I got my J-45.

One more thing...the replacement to the J-45TV -- the J-45 Vintage (which has the torrefied Adi top) will be hitting stores any day now. You should expect many dealers to be blowing out of the older J-45TVs they may still have. Be smart and bargain accordingly.

drive-south 06-07-2015 08:20 AM

Also consider a J30, Original Jumbo, J50, or SJ.

open-road-matt 06-07-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem (Post 4521844)
BTW, with some dickering you could get a new J-45 Standard for around $1800.

Where could one make this happen?!

Matt

Goswo 06-07-2015 11:43 AM

Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?

Go TV. Really well build, vere consistent quality, not brighter - offcourse there are differences from one guitar to another, but the TV concept is just great, J45 or Hummingbird TV, same same but different

brencat 06-07-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by open-road-matt (Post 4522236)
Where could one make this happen?!

Matt

Wildwood Guitars and EM Shorts to name two places.

You may have to ask, so don't be shy.

open-road-matt 06-07-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 4522317)
Wildwood Guitars and EM Shorts to name two places.

You may have to ask, so don't be shy.

Cool!
Thanks!

I do need to get better at that. My dad loved it and my father in law is really good at it. I should bring him guitar shopping!

Matt

frankhond 06-07-2015 04:23 PM

If I were to recommend one "dream J-45" it would be the John Hiatt model. It has AJ bracing and a chunky neck. I played one by chance and was just floored.

hovishead 06-07-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankhond (Post 4522503)
If I were to recommend one "dream J-45" it would be the John Hiatt model. It has AJ bracing and a chunky neck. I played one by chance and was just floored.

Great guitars. I played one once too and loved it. It was very expensive though - and out of my budget at the time.:(

brucefulton 06-07-2015 07:33 PM

For a lifer:

1. Don't set a price point.

2. Don't buy without try.

3. Don't compromise on 1 or 2.

4. Check out a couple of the recent blind polls on this forum, and you'll understand rule 1, 2, and 3.