The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Feedback wanted - 1991 Martin D28 LSH (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188400)

tadol 07-02-2010 07:34 PM

Feedback wanted - 1991 Martin D28 LSH

A friend has one of the above mentioned instruments - apparently it is one of 200 that were made in 1991 to commemorate the retirement of an employee(?) who had been with the company for 47 years. It seems to be very nice woods, has some very nice snowflake inlay on the fingerboard, bridge, and tuner knobs, and a double abalone inlay around the sound hole.

The guitar plays very nicely, with a strong, classic Martin dread sound - I have to admit, I am more than a little enamored with it. But it is almost 20 years old, and has been very well played, and is really showing some of its "experience" - no damage I can see, but numerous dings and bumps in the soundboard, and the beginnings of a center seam split just below the bridge. The action is very low, plays well but with just a bit of buzz when heavily flat-picked, and could really use a new set of strings. Not sure what the "Large Sound Hole" really offers. Has a schnazzy case that you have to rotate knobs to close it - kinda a PITA if you ask me -

He got the guitar as collateral for a loan to someone he knew, who has not returned and picked up the guitar for over 4 years now, and he wants his money. He feels the guitar may be worth over $3000, but based on what little I kind find about this model and what I see about the condition, I think his expectations may not be met.

So - some feedback please - does anyone know anything more about this model, or have one and can give me some feedback on it, and does anyone want to throw me an idea of a fair price for this? He needs to sell quickly to make his rent, and I would love to get it, but I want to make him a fair offer -

I'll also post this over at UMGF, but I hoped maybe a couple of you have some info? Thanks in advance! Tad

Wade Hampton 07-02-2010 07:44 PM

Since we're not supposed to discuss price on this forum, all I'll say is that that price seems high to me. I'd say offer two thirds that price, and that's only if you really, truly want it.

It seems clear that the guy made a loan to the wrong person, and is going to have to eat some of the debt himself. There's no reason why you should have become the guarantor of the loan, even if that's what your friend hopes he can finesse.

whm

tadol 07-02-2010 08:17 PM

My apologies - forgot about the price thing -

OK - so leaving price out of it, anyone familiar with this model, or have any feedback about the "LSH" designation? 1991 - a good year? Anything I should specifically look for or be concerned about? To be honest, this would be my first Martin - not on purpose, just never picked one up that appealed to me and I could afford. This one may be it.

I've already told my friend that his expectations are a little unrealistic, and that I would try to offer him a fair price, and he has said that if he isn't going to get what he was owed, he would be happy to know I ended up with it - but he wants as much as he can get. I think he (subconsciously) realized a while ago that the reason the guy never came back to pick up his guitar was that he got more in the loan than it was worth -

rlouie 07-02-2010 08:21 PM

I think cpabolting may have or had this exact model and year guitar.....pm him.......

http://www.californiavintageguitaran..._012209019.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=mJM...page&q&f=false

cpabolting 07-02-2010 08:23 PM

I have the protype #0 of 0 of this very same model. A great guitar but the protype is slightly different in its finishes. I think Wade's assessment is about right especially with that play wear. These guitars are pretty nice but the center seam isn'g such a great thing. Often a good luthier can cleat that seam and take a little acetone and melt the lacquer down to smooth it out and then a little fine sanding and finish buffing. On the dings, the lacquer can often be touched up and still look good.

$ongWriter 07-02-2010 08:42 PM

I got one...

I traded for mine in 1993 or 1994 and that is what they were asking for it then and it was used. I think this guitar retailed for between $4000 and $4500 in 1991. I won't say it's the best Martin I've ever played but it's close. I took mine to Guitar Center a couple months ago and it sounded better than any Martin they had in stock...and they had some marquis and Ge's and a D-45 and a D-42..and an Authentic....This guitar is basically a D-28 but with scalloped braces...in my opinion it doesn't have the booming sound and is more balanced than most HD-28's or D-28's....it's the only guitar I have that if it was stolen I'd really really miss it!!....I'd say offer him less and try to buy it!!!....Oh, almost forgot..they were a "guitar of the month" guitar...and they made a few more than 200..I think some were sold overseas...

$ongWriter 07-02-2010 08:44 PM

value..

Oh, forgot to say that it's hard to tell the "value" of this guitar simply because so few of them have been sold or traded over the years. Plus, look underneath the top...it's signed by everyone who worked on it...pretty cool. And, I think there are a few "famous" people in the Martin world...can't remember their name.

darylcrisp 07-02-2010 09:10 PM

sounds like a really cool guitar. I've played a few Large sound hole new Martins and liked them very well. This whole post sounds full of mojo, kinda like Tony Rices "antique", larger soundhole and all.
Keep us posted on the outcome and definitely pix and soundclips if you end up with it.
cool find Tad
daryl

cpabolting 07-03-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $ongWriter (Post 2274563)
Oh, forgot to say that it's hard to tell the "value" of this guitar simply because so few of them have been sold or traded over the years. Plus, look underneath the top...it's signed by everyone who worked on it...pretty cool. And, I think there are a few "famous" people in the Martin world...can't remember their name.

Is it just that guitar that has all the signatures?

Mike Longworth is a signature you would look for. I have a few Guitars of Month: 1990 D-40 BLE and 1990 HD-29 BLE, and the D-40BLE is signed only by Mike Longworth and Christian Martin on the underside of the top.

Misifus 07-03-2010 08:43 AM

That case sounds like it would add a little value to it. If you have to turn knobs to open it, it may be a flight case. That would be worth another grand.

-Raf

macfawlty 07-03-2010 10:48 AM

It sounds like you really like it and it's quite unique. The wear issues wouldn't bother me. At least you don't have to worry as much about handling it. I would find an acceptable price point and GET IT. If you let it go, you'll probably kick yourself. If you find you don't like it after a while, trade it and move on. NBD.

$ongWriter 07-03-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpabolting (Post 2274671)
Is it just that guitar that has all the signatures?

Mike Longworth is a signature you would look for. I have a few Guitars of Month: 1990 D-40 BLE and 1990 HD-29 BLE, and the D-40BLE is signed only by Mike Longworth and Christian Martin on the underside of the top.

Pretty sure all of them had the sigs under the top. I owned the guitar for 10 years before I read somewhere about it and when I stuck a mirror in it .sure enough it's signed on the underside of the top by alot of people. Mike Longworth may be one of the guys that added some value?...don't know if your prototype would be signed or not...I'd check it!!

brian a. 07-03-2010 12:03 PM

The Martin D-28LSH (large soundhole) was made in 1991. Only 211 were sold (200 domestic and 11 foreign). The underside of the top is signed by C.F. Martin IV and company employees. The label is signed by Les Wagner, who retired in 1991 after 47 years with Martin. The original MSRP was $4398.

It will have an adjustable truss rod, allowing you to easily adjust the neck relief and that may help with some of the string buzzing. The center seam separation would probably take care of itself with proper humidification. The guitar in the condition you are describing is worth about half what your friend feels, thinks or would like to get.

tadol 07-03-2010 07:55 PM

Thanks all - I went with my gut, and offered him a price that should leave me a little room for the fretwork ( replace first 5 probably )and set-up that I think it needs, and he somewhat begrudgingly accepted it. Once the cash was in his hand, I think he felt pretty good about it.

I have to clean it all up, replace the 5 year old strings, and I'll get some pics up for those interested.

I took my SC 000 with me so I could do a comparison with a guitar I've been playing alot recently, and the Martin tone really impressed me - won't say it blew the Santa Cruz away, but it sure does sound good - very balanced, but a strong bass -

Thanks all for the info - I think this is gonna be fun! And wow, I bought my first Martin!

cpabolting 07-04-2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misifus (Post 2274813)
That case sounds like it would add a little value to it. If you have to turn knobs to open it, it may be a flight case. That would be worth another grand.

-Raf

The Martin cases around that era had a catch you had to engage and then a handle you turned 180 degrees to lock it down. Is that what you are referring to"? If it is a Martin case, get it in that is probably original or post some pics of what it is. Outside of the Martin case that would be period correct, I have not seen a flight case with knobs.