The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is the economy Picking up (NGD's) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243740)

Herringbone 03-05-2012 07:06 PM

Is the economy Picking up (NGD's)

Is it me, or has there been a rash of NGD's lately?

harryboss1 03-05-2012 08:12 PM

There does seem to be a lot of people getting new guitars lately. I wish I was one of them.

Maynard9089 03-05-2012 08:20 PM

I suspect its tax return money

davenumber2 03-05-2012 08:23 PM

There are plenty of people in this economy who are not hurting financially.

RP 03-05-2012 08:23 PM

It kind of depends on the guitars that are being bought and sold. I'd love to share your optimism, but any rash of NGDs could also be the result of folks in financial straits selling off their instruments and others picking them up at really good prices...

HHP 03-05-2012 08:27 PM

Wouldn't make too much of it. There's people here who would buy a new guitar if they hadn't eaten for a week.

bkharmony 03-05-2012 08:50 PM

This:
Quote:

This:
Quote:

There are plenty of people in this economy who are not hurting financially.
and especially this:
Quote:

any rash of NGDs could also be the result of folks in financial straits selling off their instruments and others picking them up at really good prices...
I've been selling off everything I can to stay afloat.

ANeat 03-05-2012 08:51 PM

Its 2012, everyone wants a new guitar before the end of the world:D

Honestly, its probably just a cyclic thing. Heck Ive only been playing about 6 months, went thru (and still going thru) quite a few guitars trying to find something I like

Kent Chasson 03-05-2012 08:57 PM

Orders and inquiries have been picking up for me. Hard to say whether that really corresponds to the overall economy but I would guess there is some relation.

blaren 03-05-2012 09:28 PM

Yeah..tax time...tired of a long winter...people crawling out of Christmas debt..

I hang at some PRS forums and it seems like it's ALWAYS NGD at those places.
If it's true what people say...that PRS owners are lawyers who can't play..(I'm not a lawyer but I'm not very good either lol), it seems to look like lawyers aren't hurting too badly.
Lawyers or not, most PRS owners dont hang at Squier or Epi forums..probably cause they got money.
It might be true then also that...the rich people arent in too much pain over this economy. Only us poorer folk are really feeling it. The 99 percent of us.

DreadFred 03-05-2012 09:41 PM

It's the 1 percent...

Glennwillow 03-05-2012 09:50 PM

I see a little improvement in the economy but it's very slow. The people who are doing OK were doing OK last year and the year before.

Regarding lawyers (I am not a lawyer, but as an engineer, I work with lawyers at times), some are doing well and some are not. There are plenty of recent law graduates deep in debt who cannot get jobs. Most law firms have had to cut way back since companies struggling for survival are not as likely to sue each other.

- Glenn

Thrillhouse 03-05-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maynard9089 (Post 2959946)

This.

It is picking up but not enough for the average person to spend $xxx(x) on a new guitar I don't think. Most people getting that check back and thinking "hey free money" not "this was mine all along". ;)

SkippyX 03-05-2012 10:03 PM

You'll likely see a NGD from me in about a year's time.

The Final Child Support Payment is April 20th. I've got some things I need to accomplish prior to buying myself a present after 14 years of scrimping. That's going to be a 000, OM or grand concert acoustic. A nice one.

The One.

Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last.

Mr Peebuddy 03-05-2012 10:29 PM

considering at i work part time to pay for fulltime school, im pretty sure im in the 99 percent... but that don't stop a NGD:)

that's what having no kids'll do for you... and a huge cutbacks on other areas of spending/ changes in lifestyle choices, for better or worse

it helps to not drink, smoke, buying 100+ dollar nike sb's or jordans. you know, things that a lot of broke college students do.