The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   3/4 size guitar vs Travel guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214506)

joehempel 04-21-2011 10:46 PM

3/4 size guitar vs Travel guitar

I'm seeing some things here between 3/4 size guitars and travel guitars.

3/4 seems to be cheaper than the travels, but the travels seem to be smaller. I'm talking say for instance and HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING an Epiphone that's $xx vs. the Epiphone Expedition for $xxx

Or a Fender 3/4 for $xx vs Yamaha FG-JR for $xxx

What would the difference be, would I be better off with a 3/4 size guitar? I'm looking to buy a travel guitar for my vacation, and really don't care if it comes back, so I'm not looking for the Little Martins or Baby Taylors. I'm looking at Luna or a 3/4 size guitar.

***Price Removed. NO GUITAR PRICING DISCUSSIONS: We respectfully ask that you keep guitar pricing discussions offline. We think pricing discussions in this forum can hurt dealers and ultimately hurt customers. When someone posts that they bought a guitar for XXXX, that suddenly sets the price for a lot of other dealers to have to match to stay competitive. It doesn't matter if the more expensive dealer offers better service or value-adds, has a nicer display room where the instruments are better cared for, etc. ***

crikey 04-21-2011 11:20 PM

Aren't 3/4 size guitars travel guitars?

I think you answered your own question. Go with a cheapo if you don't care if it comes back. And drink and swear around it a lot. Ask it why it can't be more like Little Martin or Baby Taylor, and otherwise humiliate it publicly every chance you get, then kick it to the curb. It won't come back. :)

joehempel 04-22-2011 01:04 AM

The reason I ask, is that I see 3/4 size guitars....and then guitars that are marked "travel guitars", so I was getting confused.

I'm going to do my best to bring it back with me, but if there isn't enough room in the car, then it'll be the first to get burned on the beach! :)

hermithollow 04-22-2011 06:11 AM

3/4 size guitars are often sold as "beginners" guitars and are often lacking in tone and playability (not always). They are usually cheaper.
Travel guitars are often bought by people who already play and demand something a bit more serviceable. They are willing to pay more for something that works better.
If you are looking for a disposable "beach" guitar then the 3/4 size might be a good option.

mchalebk 04-22-2011 06:58 AM

They're not cheap, but some of the best small guitars these days are composite. CA (Cargo), Emerald (X5, X7, X7-OS) and Blackbird (Rider) all offer small guitars that offer surprisingly big sound. If you can afford one, there are many advantages for a travel guitar to be made of composite construction.

seannx 04-22-2011 08:39 AM

On a short vacation, and if it's not going back home, the smaller size options (Little Martin, 3/4 size something) can be OK and even fun. But they aren't going to be as satisfying to play as a Voyage Air. I've traveled with, enjoyed, and sold a Little Martin, and have a Voyage Air. The Voyage Air is actually easier to travel with (the case is wider, but not as long as the Little Martin's), and you don't have to adjust to a shorter scale length. It will also give a much better and louder sound, as it is a full size guitar.

jeepnstein 04-22-2011 08:40 AM

My 3/4 is my travel guitar. It looks like a toy compared to a dreadnought but who cares?

joehempel 04-22-2011 11:50 AM

If it's not coming home I'm NOT buying a Little Martin, that's waaaay too expensive!! I have not interest in a travel guitar that costs as much as my full size guitars, just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm not going to spend over $100 so I think I'll hit up a couple stores for some 3/4 size.

Thanks!!

joehempel 04-22-2011 11:52 AM

As a side note, this little pricing edit thing ticks me off! I specifically stated HYPOTHETICALLY as I needed to get a point across....I realize that this site has sponsors, and you have to be careful, but that was ridiculous.

I mentioned one brand of guitar, not even a specific model except the Expedition to be as vague as possible in things, and still it happens??? I guess I will no longer talk about buying a guitar on this forum again. It wasn't even really about guitar pricing it was about the difference between travel and 3/4....really does the topic even get read?

Glennwillow 04-22-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannx (Post 2591984)
On a short vacation, and if it's not going back home, the smaller size options (Little Martin, 3/4 size something) can be OK and even fun. But they aren't going to be as satisfying to play as a Voyage Air. I've traveled with, enjoyed, and sold a Little Martin, and have a Voyage Air. The Voyage Air is actually easier to travel with (the case is wider, but not as long as the Little Martin's), and you don't have to adjust to a shorter scale length. It will also give a much better and louder sound, as it is a full size guitar.

This is where I am, too.