The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   It's official..Composite Acoustics has been bought by Peavy (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189981)

Guest 928 11-05-2015 10:30 AM

[size="7"]wow![ wow!/size]

Carbonius 11-05-2015 10:41 AM

Okay, so although I am Carbonius, I have yet to own a Carbon guitar. I was too afraid to buy one years ago as nobody carried them around here. Well now a local dealer has a nice GXi Copper burst in at an amazing price. I think it was a demo model. At first I didn't like the tone much as I was really used to Taylor's. The tone is a little darker, but not bad. I have had substantial hearing changes through the last 3 years and found the GXi tone more attractive now.

The sustain is very good in the first 9 or so frets, average in the 10-14 range and lacking for the rest of the neck. In fact, very strange overwhelming resonance occurs in the 15+ range (yes I play there). The sustain is MOST noticeable for me in the D to F# range on the A string. EVERY Taylor I have tried lacks sustain in that range and the notes get sucked out like a vacuum. The GXi has the same sustain all over that lower register

I find that the high E & B get a bit lost with moderate to heavy strumming. Is that just from the players perspective?? Some have said that these guitars sound quite different from player vs. listener. How do I remedy that?? Play close to a wall in a small room?? Most of my playing will be just for me. I am assuming that the guitar comes with Phos/Bronz. Would 80/20's add a little clarity and sparkle??

tdq 11-06-2015 01:32 AM

After some experimenting, I found 80/20s on my GX made a big difference and it's all I use on it now.

Acousticado 11-06-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonius (Post 4702623)
Okay, so although I am Carbonius, I have yet to own a Carbon guitar. I was too afraid to buy one years ago as nobody carried them around here. Well now a local dealer has a nice GXi Copper burst in at an amazing price. I think it was a demo model. At first I didn't like the tone much as I was really used to Taylor's. The tone is a little darker, but not bad. I have had substantial hearing changes through the last 3 years and found the GXi tone more attractive now.

The sustain is very good in the first 9 or so frets, average in the 10-14 range and lacking for the rest of the neck. In fact, very strange overwhelming resonance occurs in the 15+ range (yes I play there). The sustain is MOST noticeable for me in the D to F# range on the A string. EVERY Taylor I have tried lacks sustain in that range and the notes get sucked out like a vacuum. The GXi has the same sustain all over that lower register

I find that the high E & B get a bit lost with moderate to heavy strumming. Is that just from the players perspective?? Some have said that these guitars sound quite different from player vs. listener. How do I remedy that?? Play close to a wall in a small room?? Most of my playing will be just for me. I am assuming that the guitar comes with Phos/Bronz. Would 80/20's add a little clarity and sparkle??

Hi Carbonius, and fellow Canuck. I bought a CA Cargo in '08 and still really enjoy it. Because I liked it so much, in fall of '08, I bought a tobacco burst GXi, never having tried one. I thought it would be somewhat like a Cargo on steroids and it was in a way, but it really turned out to be another tonal beast altogether. I sold it in 2012 to help fund the purchase of my Emerald 6/12 Chimaera double neck.

The tonal qualities of the GXi as you describe seems familiar and strings aren't really going to change any characteristics that you may be less than enamoured with. Given the brands/models that have since emerged, today the GXi would not be up there in my top choices. I'd be considering either an Emerald X20, one of the Rainsongs, or maybe a Blackbird, with a lean to the X20. Just thought I'd share my perspective.

Guest 928 11-06-2015 10:48 AM

Carbonius;

In the now defunct Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum, there was an incredible amount of discussion regarding strings and CF instruments. The general consensus seemed to be that strings make a bigger difference with CF than with wood. If you like the guitar at you local dealership but think strings might make it sound better to your ear, you might ask the dealer if you can change the strings and give it a run.

I'm pretty focused on nylon string Cf guitars and I've found that strings make a big difference.

Carbonius 11-06-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 4703581)
Hi Carbonius, and fellow Canuck. I bought a CA Cargo in '08 and still really enjoy it. Because I liked it so much, in fall of '08, I bought a tobacco burst GXi, never having tried one. I thought it would be somewhat like a Cargo on steroids and it was in a way, but it really turned out to be another tonal beast altogether. I sold it in 2012 to help fund the purchase of my Emerald 6/12 Chimaera double neck.

The tonal qualities of the GXi as you describe seems familiar and strings aren't really going to change any characteristics that you may be less than enamoured with. Given the brands/models that have since emerged, today the GXi would not be up there in my top choices. I'd be considering either an Emerald X20, one of the Rainsongs, or maybe a Blackbird, with a lean to the X20. Just thought I'd share my perspective.

Emerald X20... W:cool:W!!! The bevel, the cool head-stock, the 24 fret neck, the amazing woody options AND... the price. I have not checked on Emerald for years. They have certainly upped their game. The guitar just makes so much sense to me. I'd prefer 4.5 depth but I can do 4.75. Am I right that this is about a Grand Auditorium size or more of a Grand Concert? The lower bout is not very big, but the depth is more like a dread. Do you get good bass out of these X20's??

tommyld 11-06-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonius (Post 4703904)
Emerald X20... W:cool:W!!! The bevel, the cool head-stock, the 24 fret neck, the amazing woody options AND... the price. I have not checked on Emerald for years. They have certainly upped their game. The guitar just makes so much sense to me. I'd prefer 4.5 depth but I can do 4.75. Am I right that this is about a Grand Auditorium size or more of a Grand Concert? The lower bout is not very big, but the depth is more like a dread. Do you get good bass out of these X20's??

The X20 is a total work of art, and one of the bargains of the CF world!

More like Grand Concert size.

I don't think you'll notice the difference between 4.5" and the X20's 4.75" especially with the curves. It's comfy!

The 24 fret neck...honestly, I can see some flash guys (and/or people more talented than I) using 24 frets, but for me, the fretboard extends far enough to bother me a bit if I'm strumming or finger-picking further from the bridge, leading me to play a bit closer to the bridge than I prefer.

I'd describe the bass as tight, snappy...not boomy or thumpy. The overall tone is very open, but the notes are harder / more immediate (as opposed to blooming)...someone once said piano-like, which might be right. I can't front: if you want warm tone with thumping bass, I'd look into a larger-bodied hybrid Rainsong. But if you're on-board for the total non-traditional experience, there's nothing out there like the X20!

Uncle Pauhana 11-07-2015 11:34 AM

I pretty much agree with everything tommyld says about the X20.

But I've been using Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze medium gauge strings after many years all D'Addario PB everywhere.

I LOVE the Aluminum Bronze. Clarity, sustain, projection almost ridiculous bass when I tune down... and they last like coated strings but are priced like uncoated.

Tone-wise, they seem to be in between PB and 80/20. Maybe a bit jangly for some folks when new, but they settle in nicely.

steelvibe 11-07-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana (Post 4705000)
I pretty much agree with everything tommyld says about the X20.

But I've been using Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze medium gauge strings after many years all D'Addario PB everywhere.

I LOVE the Aluminum Bronze. Clarity, sustain, projection almost ridiculous bass when I tune down... and they last like coated strings but are priced like uncoated.

Tone-wise, they seem to be in between PB and 80/20. Maybe a bit jangly for some folks when new, but they settle in nicely.

Hey Uncle, this isn't the first time I've heard favorable results with Ernie Ball AB strings. I had them on my Breedlove and they were okay- certainly didn't fall in love with them. I'm considering trying a set on my RainSong though.

Uncle Pauhana 01-28-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 4705353)
Hey Uncle, this isn't the first time I've heard favorable results with Ernie Ball AB strings. I had them on my Breedlove and they were okay- certainly didn't fall in love with them. I'm considering trying a set on my RainSong though.

I don't know why I'm only seeing this now, months after you wrote it, but did you try out the ABs?

steelvibe 01-28-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana (Post 4806639)
I don't know why I'm only seeing this now, months after you wrote it, but did you try out the ABs?

I have not tried the AB strings on my RainSong. They had great bass response on the Breedlove but that was somewhat overshadowed by a very brassy mid range and the treble seemed a bit strident for my tastes. Since Rainsongs are known for their bright tone already I've been reluctant to try the AB strings- but I might. Right now I've got JP Silk and Bronze and Martin Retros waiting for their turns on the Shorty.

Rapt_up 01-28-2016 01:55 PM

oooh... I'd be interested to hear how the silk and bronze are when you try them. LOL

I think we've probably wandered pretty from the original topic... :D