The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   It's official..Composite Acoustics has been bought by Peavy (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189981)

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 07-22-2010 01:47 PM

It's official..Composite Acoustics has been bought by Peavey

Just got notice that CA has in fact been purchased by Peavey Electronics Corporation and they will resume the manufacture of CA guitars in their Meridian facility. More to come as soon as I get the info.

Update, I spoke to the Peavey rep handling the CA account and Iwas told they will offer all models, prices will remain the same "for now", and as for finishes we will see high gloss first than RT. (no decision on a RAW finish yet) They are hoping to get the guitars to dealers by the end of the year. As for warranting the older guitars, the indication is that they will cover them but nothing is set in stone as of yet.

Oakland 07-22-2010 01:51 PM

That's very good news.

It also moves pre-Peavy CAs right into the rare and collectable market, right?:D

Acousticado 07-22-2010 01:53 PM

This is great news!

J.R. Rogers 07-22-2010 01:55 PM

Cool! My friend Hartley owns CA! :up:

JR

Comfort Player 07-22-2010 01:56 PM

Good news !! Glad to see CA will be back on the market. Hopefully Peavey will continue to grow and innovate the old CA lineup.

Yes all Pre-Peaveys are now collectable :D

Raggamuffin 07-22-2010 01:56 PM

Awesome!! I love my CA!

15 Man 07-22-2010 01:57 PM

This is indeed excellent news!

Glennwillow 07-22-2010 01:59 PM

Hi Tarpman,

This is good news! Peavey and CA is a really good match! Peavey has been a really forward looking company, a real innovator over the years.

- Glenn

Acousticado 07-22-2010 02:02 PM

I wonder what name will be on the headstock? Probably 'Peavey'.

Larry Pattis 07-22-2010 02:14 PM

Perhaps they will start off by building guitars with proper neck angles (for correct saddle height above the bridge at proper set-up specs), and add adjustable truss-rods...

:cool:

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 07-22-2010 02:34 PM

Just curious Larry, what do you think of the Rainsong setup?

Larry Pattis 07-22-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarpman (Post 2292900)
Just curious Larry, what do you think of the Rainsong setup?

Never seen or played one, and that's besides the point of what CA did. Also, I was really only looking at the Cargo model. Rainsong has no scale-length equivalent guitar, nor does any company in the carbon-fiber world.

I had to have several shops sort through dozens and dozens of Cargo models to find one that even came close to having more than a 1/16" of saddle showing over the bridge at standard 3/32" and 2/32" set-up specs....and that was in the middle of the saddle, once you got out to the E strings there was essentially nothing, maybe 1/32" at best. You could grab the high E and slide it around with this kind of set-up resulting from the improper neck-angle.

I interacted with CA directly on this early-on (they also couldn't come up with one that met my minimum specs), and it was clear that their production-specs (at least for the Cargo) had been created by someone with little knowledge of a proper guitar set-up, and what the resulting problems would be on a guitar with little saddle showing over the bridge.

These are my observations, only...although I did save a series of interesting emails with them with set-up specs they considered "standard" that have nothing to do with reality in the guitar-playing world. Stuff like shipping guitars with 5/32" & 3/32" action at the low and high E, respectively, and still less than an 1/8" of saddle showing (again, in the center). Bringing that down to a playable height resulted in the same too-low saddle height.

...not to mention no adjustable truss-rod.

K III 07-22-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pattis (Post 2292872)
Perhaps they will start off by building guitars with proper neck angles (for correct saddle height above the bridge at proper set-up specs), and add adjustable truss-rods...

:cool:

Larry, I was just doing a forum search with the terms "neck angle", "correct saddle height", "proper set-up", "CA Cargo" and "larry pattis", and guess what the result was: "Too many hits to display" :D:D:D

rlgph 07-22-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pattis (Post 2292872)

I didn't realize there were "proper" set-up specs -- i would have guessed that varied from player to player.

SuperB23 07-22-2010 04:21 PM

That is some good news!!! I have a lot of respect for Peavey amps and guitars. They are a lot of bang for the buck. I'm glad to hear CA will live on.