The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Beginner flat picking songs for solo singer/guitarist (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683820)

Bullock 03-27-2024 04:53 PM

Beginner flat picking songs for solo singer/guitarist

I just learnt ‘In Dreams’ (Alternate version) by Sierra Ferrell. I’m looking for similar style songs where a single guitar plays both the rhythm and throws in some lead parts, and also has vocals. Basically I want to sing, play guitar and the lead on my ownsome. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/-tkAdRG4QLE?si=tH4ljLpzLsLrqUQY

BlueStarfish 03-27-2024 07:20 PM

Hi Bullock,

You can play just about ANY song that way. The secret pass phrase that gets you through the door is "Carter style."

Here's a good place to start:

https://www.flatpick.com/product_p/2444.htm

Get the basics for Carter style leads into your toolbox and you'll have the tools to do what you are describing with any song you happen to like.

robandmar 03-27-2024 07:57 PM

Have you tried Tony Rices Church Street Blues? JK I gave up after the intro part. Seriously there are a lot of good ones out there that are simple. Start what ever one you pick at 1/4 speed we've all been there.

robandmar 03-27-2024 08:52 PM

Sorry man couldn’t leave you hanging with my joke. Red Haired Boy is good it has a lot of repetitive parts in the A part. No vocals but there are plenty of those out there. The thing with flat picking is as the speed picks up so does the difficulty. That’s why a lot of metal players admire flatpickers because the absolutely know the difficulty of playing fast and clean.

Watch any good clean flatpicker and if they show their right hand watch the wrist rotation which is quick and subtle but it allows you to escape to the next string. Good luck and have fun but never stop trying and learning.

Robin, Wales 03-28-2024 07:49 AM

Here's one to have a go at. You don't have to play it note for note as you can simplify the flatpicking runs and cross picking. Then, over time (years rather than months) , embellish your performance as you get more building blocks in place.

Basically, this is a good approach to all this Carter style playing - start learning the song with a simple flag picked accompaniment and then add stuff over the years to your arrangement.

I play this style of flatpick song accompaniment for pretty much all the songs I sing. Except when I'm Travis picking.

A Scot in Otley 03-28-2024 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin, Wales (Post 7434900)

Here's one to have a go at. You don't have to play it note for note as you can simplify the flatpicking runs and cross picking. Then, over time (years rather than months) , embellish your performance as you get more building blocks in place.

Basically, this is a good approach to all this Carter style playing - start learning the song with a simple flag picked accompaniment and then add stuff over the years to your arrangement.

I play this style of flatpick song accompaniment for pretty much all the songs I sing. Except when I'm Travis picking.

Saw them a couple of months back. He has a lovely, subtle touch as a guitar player (mando and fiddle too). Class act - I even stole one of his gags.

Mandobart 03-28-2024 08:32 AM

Two of my favorite singing and flatpicking songs were made famous by Ola Belle Reed - "I've Endured" and "High on a Mountain". Tim O'Brien and Hot Rize covered these too.

Any flatpicking song can be as difficult as you want to make it, but with a few major pentatonic runs (aka G run, C run), some hammer ons and 7ths you can make it recognizable and do it justice.

Some more of my favorites:
Been All Around this World (Foghorn String Band or Hot Rize version)

Georgia on a Fast Train (Billy Joe Shaver)

Dark Hollow

I've Lived a Lot in my Time (bluegrass version, NOT Jim Reeves)

Grandpa Was a Carpenter and Please Don't Bury Me (John Prine)
And lots more. You can do a lot of old country and folk songs in a flatpicking style. Just about every note you need to pick the melody is right there in the chord shape you're holding. I'll frequently pick out the melody while keeping the beat at the same time. It might sound hard but if you keep at it, it becomes intuitive.

Riverwolf 03-28-2024 09:06 AM

https://musicwithryan.com/

Lots of Carter style here.

Charlie Bernstein 03-28-2024 09:58 AM

Great suggestions above.

I love playing this song, especially the catchy little guitar bridge at 0:34: Guitar Town

The guitar riff on this sounds cool on acoustic, and the unusual timing is fun: You Don't Love Me

Variations on the simple little blues riff that kicks this off fit a thousand songs: Deep Ellum Blues

And speaking of The Boys, Jerry's flat-picked guitar part on this is easy, evocative, and emotional (the three E's), and playing solo, it's not hard to combine the lead and rhythm: Ripple

And audiences get a kick out of it when someone pulls this out: Tennessee Waltz

Robin, Wales 03-28-2024 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein (Post 7434954)
Great suggestions above.

And audiences get a kick out of it when someone pulls this out: Tennessee Waltz

Ha Charlie!!!! You have just given me the answer for a song for the solo spot I'm doing at a concert in a couple of weeks time. :D

broy 04-02-2024 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robandmar (Post 7434787)
Sorry man couldn’t leave you hanging with my joke. Red Haired Boy is good it has a lot of repetitive parts in the A part.

Glad you didn't leave him hanging, loving me some Red Haired Boy!

Was just thinking I'd like to see if I could get started w/ some bluegrass style playing and this hits the spot.

Charlie Bernstein 04-05-2024 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin, Wales (Post 7435155)
Ha Charlie!!!! You have just given me the answer for a song for the solo spot I'm doing at a concert in a couple of weeks time. :D

Made my day!

=O]