The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you wash your hands before you play? - Poll (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389769)

d18 06-06-2015 08:51 PM

Do you wash your hands before you play? - Poll

In the spirit of this sited thread, I created this poll.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=389667

Ed-in-Ohio 06-06-2015 08:58 PM

Always. Absolutely. I also wash my hands before handling my guitars, even if I wont be playing them.

muscmp 06-06-2015 09:23 PM

some people like gunked guitar bodies and strings. they say...mojo! i don't believe it.

play music!

bluzfvr 06-06-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscmp (Post 4521726)
some people like gunked guitar bodies and strings. they say...mojo! i don't believe it.

play music!

It's like running through mud!

bozz_2006 06-06-2015 10:04 PM

I almost always do. I wear traditional style oil-based pomade in my hair, so my hands get greasy/waxy. It kills my strings and my speed if i don't wash up real well prior to playing.

AndyFrank 06-06-2015 10:09 PM

I like to wash my feet before I play guitar, does that count?

bluzfvr 06-06-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyFrank (Post 4521766)
I like to wash my feet before I play guitar, does that count?

If you play with your feet!

jaybones 06-06-2015 10:17 PM

If I've been doing something like gardening or auto work I'll certainly wash my hands before playing. But if my hands are relatively clean, just day to day stuff I'll go ahead and play. Afterward I always wipe off the guitar strings and every so often the body. In fact, about once a week or so I'll polish a couple of them with a foam ball on a cordless driver, with Stew-Mac Preservation Polish then buff it out with another foam pad and finally an old tee shirt.

I like my guitars' finish to look as clean and shiny as possible. Much like my cars (always freshly washed and waxed), and what hair I have left (without the wax or other product, unless you count Rogaine).

email4eric 06-07-2015 12:19 AM

I wash my hands before I play if they're dirty, oily, or otherwise fouled. I don't wash my hands before I play if they're not.

Now that I think about it, I wash my hands if they're dirty, oily, or otherwise fouled anyway.

Furthermore, I tend to pick up a guitar spontaneously throughout the day. Washing my hands as a rule before doing that would crimp that spontaneity.

Guest 1511 06-07-2015 12:28 AM

Dirty hands have a cumulative effect on the surface of the guitar. After many sessions, the fretboard especially will get pretty gunky. I bought a used guitar once that I had to scrape the old congealed hand gunk off it with a putty knife. It was worst right up next to the frets. That was the first and only guitar I owned that got a thorough cleaning with bleach.

Steel and wood 06-07-2015 01:48 AM

Unless I've used my fingers to eat with or played the handyman (ha!) ....... then the answer is no.

Silly Moustache 06-07-2015 04:11 AM

I dislike the feeling of greasy oir dirty hands, which may seem odd as at this time of the year, they are frequently up to my elbows in compost and soil, as we plant our crops out.

I like clean new strings, and clean instruments.

Further, due to a relatively recently diagnosed chronic lung disease, I have to do all I can to avoid infections - colds, flu etc., and so as playing seems to necessitate lots of hand shaking, kissy/huggy women etc., I wash as frequently as I can.

nickyruskin 06-07-2015 04:19 AM

Of course. The guitar is an instrument, not a furniture :D

Dru Edwards 06-07-2015 05:45 AM

I put "Sometimes" because if my hands are already clean I won't wash them again. I'll never play a guitar with dirty hands though.

ewalling 06-07-2015 06:16 AM

I've put 'always' because at the very least my hands have to be recently washed. They have to feel dry and clean, and that means I'll have washed them a relatively short time before I pick up a guitar.