The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Adirondack - Worthy Upgrgrade? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345767)

D35burst 06-18-2014 06:10 PM

Adirondack - Worthy Upgrgrade?

Seemingly more often lately, many of the guitar stores are brining in standard line Martins or custom Martins with Adirondack tops.
Is the recent resurgence due to renewed availability or demand?
Do you guys think its worth a couple hundred extra for the contemporary Red Spruce tops?
Are you happy with yours?
Cheers!

Long Jon 06-18-2014 06:16 PM

I better put my flame suit on, but I honestly can't say my Adirondack-topped Martin dread sounds any "better" than my Sitka HD-28 V...

But then, I'm a total hack , so others may well appreciate the subtle differences. They both have forward-shifted scalloped braces and mod V necks.

The sitka top has about three times the amount of growth ring lines on it , but I notice in all the pics of Authentics I've seen , the Adi is very wide grained ...

and apparently they sound pretty good !

bohemian 06-18-2014 06:18 PM

Adirondack = additional profit.

mattmoo 06-18-2014 06:19 PM

Yep. Adirondack is not hype.

devellis 06-18-2014 06:21 PM

Honestly, I think it's a case-by-case thing. Both Sitka and red spruces can be great. It depends on the specific specimens and which strengths you want the guitar to have. Generally, I think Sitka is a bit warmer and red a bit clearer and brighter but the build will make a huge difference.

harmonics101 06-18-2014 06:27 PM

I think cosmetically, you get more of a crap shoot with red spruce, I think sitka is more consistent as far as appearances go. If you're not picky about appearances, I think <a couple hundred> is an okay premium to pay. I don't purposefully go out looking for red spruce or sitka, I go by sound,

H

Gypsyblue 06-18-2014 06:41 PM

My Blueridge BR183A sounds amazing. The only guitar I've owned that comes close was my Collings OM2A. But the Collings was edgier and brighter.

So it comes down to the individual guitar - as usual. ;)

I do like Adirondack. It gives a guitar a different personality than Sitka or Engleman.

Anyone who's owned a fine Adirondack topped guitar (and who can really play...) will hear what Adirondack has to offer that's different than Sitka or Engleman.

I like the way my Adi topped guitars ring and sustain for such a long time and the way the middle strings (D & G) have a slightly thicker tone than with Sitka or Engleman.

Not that I haven't played some great guitars with Sitka or Engleman tops too.

I'm not going to say that Adirondack (or Red Spruce) is better...but I do prefer it as long as it's on a fine guitar.

WoodBlues 06-18-2014 06:47 PM

I have a Larrivee D-05 with a Sitka top and a Boucher 000 with an Adirondack top. Both guitars sound amazing to me.

This said, the Boucher is extra sweet.

cke 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

I agree with Devellis

But where are you seeing $200 upcharge? Martin is $800 Collings $1000 bourgeois charges $1200. If you mean the Chinese guitars,,I don't think they are getting the best, and a Lot of red spruce comes from northern Canada and is softer than the primo stuff. Much euro spruce is said to be as stiff or stiffer.

Cibby 06-18-2014 06:57 PM

Adirondack gives a different punch and it is not to big a hit money wise. My 3 acoustics D28, D15M and Blueridge BR160A all sound great but the Adi topped BR160A is a heck of player the Adi top really cuts thru that banjo at bluegrass jams. One thing with the Blueridge it's not expensive as Adi topped dreads go and I don't feel the lower price means lower quality. Blueridge is a good way to go to get a taste of what Adirondack can do.

Gypsyblue 06-18-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cibby (Post 4003331)
Adirondack gives a different punch and it is not to big a hit money wise. My 3 acoustics D28, D15M and Blueridge BR160A all sound great but the Adi topped BR160A is a heck of player the Adi top really cuts thru that banjo at bluegrass jams. One thing with the Blueridge it's not expensive as Adi topped dreads go and I don't feel the lower price means lower quality. Blueridge is a good way to go to get a taste of what Adirondack can do.

100% agreement. I'm not a beginner and have owned Martin, Guild, Taylor and Collings guitars.

But I love my Blueridge guitars and feel that they're right up there with any of the other great guitars I've owned over the years.

Watt 06-18-2014 07:44 PM

For my style of playing, Adirondack generally doesn't work well and I would not consider it an upgrade.

D35burst 06-18-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cke (Post 4003317)
I agree with Devellis

But where are you seeing $200 upcharge? Martin is $800 Collings $1000 bourgeois charges $1200. I.

Some of the forum regulars are bringing in standard series Martins with Addi tops for a couple hundred more..

riverrummed 06-18-2014 08:00 PM

I'll say it too...it's not hype.

Aaron Smith 06-18-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devellis (Post 4003268)
Honestly, I think it's a case-by-case thing. Both Sitka and red spruces can be great. It depends on the specific specimens and which strengths you want the guitar to have. Generally, I think Sitka is a bit warmer and red a bit clearer and brighter but the build will make a huge difference.

I agree with this for the most part. It's about the individual instrument. That said, I own three spruce-topped acoustics, and all of them are Adirondack. Whether that's just coincidence or my ears like Adirondack better, I can't say.