The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lowden Guitars - S25 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685139)

Grantgreen42 04-27-2024 11:30 AM

Lowden Guitars - S25

So I am primarily an archtop jazz player. Since I play a lot of fingerstyle I have always had acoustics around. Typically they have been the usual suspects. I own a Martin CEO7 and just picked up an OM 21.

Now, I am fascinated what else the world of acoustics holds and came across a Lowden S25. I played it and truly enjoyed the sound. A couple of questions... is the S25 technically considered a parlor or a 00? I played it against my CEO7 and they seem about the same size.

Also, the dealer is asking for $4k and it is I believe a 90s Lowden in impeccable condition. Not much came up on reverb so not sure what a reasonable price is.

Lastly, what is the quintessential Lowden model? The shape and or size that you know Lowden for.

Here is the S25:

https://youtu.be/-EOxzJsa--s

https://youtu.be/HcqjTdD-nZs

Malcolm Kindnes 04-27-2024 12:55 PM

The quintessential Lowden is the O model with a cedar top, a huge celtic sound but maybe not what you are looking for. $4k seems expensive to me but it's difficult to compare prices across the Atlantic. The S series Lowdens are larger than a parlour but deeper than most 00's if that's any help.

Stevien 04-27-2024 12:56 PM

The Irish guitars (Lowden & McIlroy) have their own sound. You either like them or you don't, & it depends alot on your playing style. I believe the "O" model is what put them on the map, & is their largest. IMO 4k is a bit steep for that one! $3200 would be realistic, if it's in excellent condition.
Steve

TBman 04-27-2024 12:58 PM

Avalon is another well made guitar from Ireland. I have an Avalon and a McIlroy.

Jimi2 04-27-2024 02:04 PM

For reference, Lowden makes a guitar smaller than an S, the Wee Lowden. I’ve never seen one in person, but I would think of that as a little closer to a parlor size. The F models are bigger than S, and the O is their biggest, jumbo size.

sevenpalms 04-27-2024 02:45 PM

FYI I think $4k is way to high for an old shop 90s Lowden…. The Downpatrick made Lowdens are much better and generally command a higher price….even then I wouldn’t pay more than about $$3200-$3400 for a used DownPatrick Lowden

Benjo 04-27-2024 03:42 PM

Based on my experience playing both the s and the f model I highly recommend the f over the s terms of projection and overall tone quality

BluesKing777 04-27-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 (Post 7451030)
So I am primarily an archtop jazz player. Since I play a lot of fingerstyle I have always had acoustics around. Typically they have been the usual suspects. I own a Martin CEO7 and just picked up an OM 21.

Now, I am fascinated what else the world of acoustics holds and came across a Lowden S25. I played it and truly enjoyed the sound. A couple of questions... is the S25 technically considered a parlor or a 00? I played it against my CEO7 and they seem about the same size.

Also, the dealer is asking for $4k and it is I believe a 90s Lowden in impeccable condition. Not much came up on reverb so not sure what a reasonable price is.

Lastly, what is the quintessential Lowden model? The shape and or size that you know Lowden for.

Here is the S25:

https://youtu.be/-EOxzJsa--s

https://youtu.be/HcqjTdD-nZs

The Lowden S model is around a deep body 00 size.

While I love my 93 Lowden S35, I also have an F size and an O size - small, medium and large! :)

A lot of earlier Lowden players liked the O size because the design gives a balanced sound like a small guitar but...bigger...well, thunderous actually!

Play a few of them before you decide.

BluesKing777.

Grantgreen42 04-27-2024 05:58 PM

Thank you all for your replies...this is exactly the type of information I am looking for. During the interim I have been doing my research and I see an 0-25...are they more revered than the s25? Are they also more or less than the s25?

LAPlayer 04-27-2024 09:53 PM

The Lowden guitar shapes/sizes are unique/original to Lowden (now used similarly by McIlroy) and are neither 00 or 000 nor Martinesque in any way. The S is the small Lowden and the lower bout is between the 00 and 000. The upper bouts are rounder than Martin 0s but less in width. While the shape is different, the S has an upper bout more like a 000 12-fret than 14 fret. The F is about an inch wider in the lower bout, than a 000 and just smaller in the upper. There is no comparison in shape or sound between 00/000s and Lowdens.
To me, four thousand is too high for a 90s S25 which is a standard wood pairing and not a custom or unusual guitar.
The O is the original Lowden size but - they sell far more F size guitars than anything. To me that makes the F the quintessential Lowden size.

LAPlayer 04-27-2024 10:05 PM

Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.

Grantgreen42 04-28-2024 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPlayer (Post 7451250)
Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.

Can you try again I think I cleaned up my PMs

Grantgreen42 04-28-2024 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPlayer (Post 7451247)
The Lowden guitar shapes/sizes are unique/original to Lowden (now used similarly by McIlroy) and are neither 00 or 000 nor Martinesque in any way. The S is the small Lowden and the lower bout is between the 00 and 000. The upper bouts are rounder than Martin 0s but less in width. While the shape is different, the S has an upper bout more like a 000 12-fret than 14 fret. The F is about an inch wider in the lower bout, than a 000 and just smaller in the upper. There is no comparison in shape or sound between 00/000s and Lowdens.
To me, four thousand is too high for a 90s S25 which is a standard wood pairing and not a custom or unusual guitar.
The O is the original Lowden size but - they sell far more F size guitars than anything. To me that makes the F the quintessential Lowden size.

It is actually an S25Custom with supposedly the top being spruce on this one is the custom appointment.

Mr. Bill 04-28-2024 04:07 AM

I favor the cedar-topped Lowdens. I have had a O25c since 1998, and it is my favorite acoustic. It is perfect for finger style, and responds well to a pick.

massimo 04-28-2024 04:17 AM

LAplayer gave a perfect description. As the owner of a 1995 S25 (bought it new), I can say it is a guitar that can do anything. It is not a small guitar, and it does by no means sound small, as much as a good 000 Martin style guitar does not sound congested at all. It has that Lowden sound in spades (I also own an 025).