The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone tried these reissue Kalamazoo guitars? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684597)

rollypolly 04-14-2024 07:19 PM

Anyone tried these reissue Kalamazoo guitars?

On Reverb I’ve stumbled across these inexpensive Kalamazoo tribute guitars that look like they could be decent for the money. Especially the Oriole. Adi top, maple body, apparently with nitro finish ?

I mean with those specs it seems like someone here would have tried one out ?

Steve DeRosa 04-14-2024 07:29 PM

That Oriole looks like a real winner - BTW there's also a 1940 original on Reverb at ten times the price...

davenumber2 04-15-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollypolly (Post 7444491)
On Reverb I’ve stumbled across these inexpensive Kalamazoo tribute guitars that look like they could be decent for the money. Especially the Oriole. Adi top, maple body, apparently with nitro finish ?

I mean with those specs it seems like someone here would have tried one out ?

There's a youtube video of a guy who bought the KG-11 reissue and said the specs did not exactly line up.

Silly Moustache 04-15-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenumber2 (Post 7444796)
There's a youtube video of a guy who bought the KG-11 reissue and said the specs did not exactly line up.

tried to fix the video.

jricc 04-15-2024 03:05 PM

These look really cool, I'd be curious to hear them as well.

gr81dorn 04-15-2024 03:07 PM

Quote:

They looked really cheap guitars in the shape of a Kalamazoo.

Osage 04-15-2024 03:24 PM

A client of mine recently purchased one new on Reverb and it didn't play great. He brought it up to me and I advised him to return it if she could. Action was high, fret ends were sharp and the build quality suspect. Which now that I think about it, is just like the originals :)

PineMarten 04-16-2024 03:14 AM

Are they definitely nitro finished? The pictures look a lot like a typical Asian factory gloss poly.

Osage 04-16-2024 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PineMarten (Post 7444977)
Are they definitely nitro finished? The pictures look a lot like a typical Asian factory gloss poly.

The one I played did not seem to be nitro. I just looked up the specs and it simply says lacquer finish but does not specify what type of lacquer. I'll say that the finish didn't look bad and didn't seem to be super thick or anything.

LAPlayer 04-16-2024 08:58 AM

I'm not sure it matters what the finish is. Nitro won't make the guitar sound better because of the nitro. There is junk made with Nitro, Poly... finishes. These appear to be the same quality as most offerings online from Alibaba with any-name-you-want on the headstock. One would likely spend what the guitar cost to make it playable. Maybe if they were $100 and you wanted a wall hanger or large ashtray.......

Charmed Life Picks 04-16-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Let me see if I can fix the vid.... Dave, if you post the exactly name of the video along with the raw URL from the address bar above, I or someone else here should be able to fix it for you.

Take Care,
Scott Memmer

PineMarten 04-16-2024 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPlayer (Post 7445072)
I'm not sure it matters what the finish is. Nitro won't make the guitar sound better because of the nitro. There is junk made with Nitro, Poly... finishes. These appear to be the same quality as most offerings online from Alibaba with any-name-you-want on the headstock. One would likely spend what the guitar cost to make it playable. Maybe if they were $100 and you wanted a wall hanger or large ashtray.......

Yeah, there are good and bad poly finishes and that in itself wouldn't put me off a guitar. Cheaper nitro finishes rarely have that heavy gloss look, though. It just makes me wonder how close they come in to the quoted specs in that and other respects.

rollypolly 04-16-2024 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the photo of the neck joint the gloss finish looks to be really thick , similar to my Recording Kings which are poly. I don't have anything against poly but when the description says nitrocellulose lacquer I take that to mean the real deal nitro, not polyurethane. But hey it's a $400 guitar. It's probably junk.

davenumber2 04-16-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 7445115)
Let me see if I can fix the vid.... Dave, if you post the exactly name of the video along with the raw URL from the address bar above, I or someone else here should be able to fix it for you.

Take Care,
Scott Memmer

https://youtu.be/S8TLuOASD1I?si=slAQmUj3aBvJO6zA

jt1 04-16-2024 05:03 PM

Weird. The thing does not resemble any Kalamazoo model ever made.