The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Temporary pick guards that can be re-applied numerous times? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458278)

Bowie 01-31-2017 06:21 PM

Temporary pick guards that can be re-applied numerous times?

Couldn't find much by searching so I've got to ask.
I have a nice luthier built guitar (Randy Reynolds all-koa 000) that's done in French polish. I'm not playing it as much as I should because pick swipes mar the finish easily (it was built for fingerstyle but I play it both ways). I'd like to use a clear, temporary guard but I've seen numerous warnings that no matter what brand you get, that they should not be left on 24/7 with French polish "just in case" there's an interraction.

So, which guards are able to be applied when I play it, and removed between sessions, over and over again?
Thanks.

Steve DeRosa 01-31-2017 06:38 PM

Check in at the Classical forum - I'm sure there are flamenco players over there who use them all the time and would be glad to help...

fazool 01-31-2017 06:39 PM

I use static cling clear plastic ones but don't leave them on long if you have a nitrocellulose finish. Vinyl will react with nitrocellulose.

rogthefrog 01-31-2017 08:09 PM

Why not just get a guitar you can play without worrying?

rokdog49 01-31-2017 08:13 PM

Maybe because he already has one he likes and wants to protect it.

Bowie 01-31-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 5214251)
Check in at the Classical forum - I'm sure there are flamenco players over there who use them all the time and would be glad to help...

Thx, I'll do that if this doesn't get responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 5214314)

The same reason that I'll go through the bother of wearing nice clothes to go to certain restaurants. It's worth the effort for the joy of the experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 5214315)
Maybe because he already has one he likes and wants to protect it.

^Thank you. I've never played a more responsive and articulate instrument than this and if I have to look out for it, no problem. I've got plenty of other nice guitars I can bang on but this is a truly unique one and I wouldn't want to miss out on the experience of playing it.

http://www.tejonstreetmusic.com/wp-c...a-Guitar-1.jpg

mz-s 01-31-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 5214314)

Live and let live.

DenverSteve 01-31-2017 10:17 PM

Why not simply install a clear pick-guard that would remain on? I've done that now a couple of times and had Steve Kinnaird install one on my K. I forget it's there but have the protection.

Wade Hampton 01-31-2017 10:32 PM

The problem in being able to give you a clear answer about this is that French polish is not a finish material, it's a technique for applying a finish, usually shellac of some sort.

Bowie, what I would recommend you do is first contact the builder of the guitar to ask whether standard shellac flakes from a guitar-building supplier were used, and if so what brand. Then I would call Stewart-MacDonald and try to reach Dan Erlewine, who's sort of their in-house repair guru. Ask him whether a clear vinyl pickguard will react with shellac the same way that it will with nitrocellulose lacquer.

Because the vast majority of the clear removable pickguards I've seen on the market have been made of vinyl, and vinyl is a dreadful thing to put into contact with a nitrocellulose finish, even momentarily.

But shellac might not be affected by it the same way.

So find out exactly what finish material is on there, then check with the folks at Stew-Mac, preferably Dan Erlewine. He can almost certainly tell you whether vinyl would be hazardous and destructive to that finish.

If you want to find out during this lifetime, avoid the temptation of asking by email and just pick up the darn phone. You'll get an answer much more quickly if you do.

If you do speak with Dan and find out, please return to this thread and let us know what he says.

Thanks.

Wade Hampton Miller

OneMansGuitar 01-31-2017 10:33 PM

Someone had sent me some clear plastic stick on guards some years ago. THey worked with static electricity.

They work very well, but you have to take them off every time, as they can have a reaction with the finish if left on for many hours.

I cannot remember the brand or where they came from.

After a while they wear out and curl up and don't stay on, but they worked well enough. I assume they are still out there somewhere.

rogthefrog 01-31-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mz-s (Post 5214335)
Live and let live.

Not judging, asking a question.

Would it be possible to install one of them archtop style pickguards that clamp on to the soundhole, instead of attaching to the top itself?

StringMeUp 01-31-2017 11:02 PM

http://www.tejonstreetmusic.com/wp-c...a-Guitar-1.jpg

Beautiful guitar!

rokdog49 02-01-2017 10:19 AM

Some folks use the Taylor one.
Here's a link to some static cling stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=static+cling+pickguard

Nailpicker 02-01-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 5214252)
I use static cling clear plastic ones but don't leave them on long if you have a nitrocellulose finish. Vinyl will react with nitrocellulose.

I don't know if they still offer it, but Taylor used to sell one from their online store. I wouldn't suggest (nor does Taylor) to leave one on a Taylor type finish either. I've got two. They've worked just fine for quite a few years now.
When they start losing their clinginess, just clean them well with water.