The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Stacked volume / tone controls (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685254)

frankmcr 04-30-2024 02:21 PM

Stacked volume / tone controls

I've only played electrics with the regular one-piece control knobs. Any thoughts on the stacked kind? Advantages/disadvantages?

Steve DeRosa 04-30-2024 02:37 PM

Never liked them - too hard to make quick adjustments on the fly, and too easy to move them together when they stick (and IME they will)...

frankmcr 04-30-2024 03:15 PM

The top one is for making micro-adjustments I'm guessing?

dilver 04-30-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 7452640)
The top one is for making micro-adjustments I'm guessing?

Typically, outer ring for volume (it’s larger); inner knob for tone. My old Ovation Legend had this - worked really well for me. Wasn’t as good on my Danelectro. They do this on some Jazz basses, too.

Rudy4 04-30-2024 06:18 PM

I've had a couple guitars with stacked controls. Not something I would ever recommend, and I would go the other way if something came along with dual concentric controls.

rmp 05-01-2024 03:57 AM

For Fpr me and for frequent tweaks, which is often the case when playing electrics, they are far from ideal.

Bowie 05-01-2024 09:09 PM

I've really liked them. Never had one stick. Never found them difficult to use at all.

edward993 05-02-2024 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 7452595)
I've only played electrics with the regular one-piece control knobs. Any thoughts on the stacked kind? Advantages/disadvantages?

They are good space savers and gives one the opportunity to have another pot to control something without adding another hole. It works just fine.

That said, if you play live with it, accessing either one on the fly is clumsy and imprecise. If you don't gig, the quick-access is moot.
:)

Edward

fazool 05-02-2024 01:23 PM

As stated, stacked pots are not for coarse and fine adjustment but for two different things - most commonly volume and tone.

A signficant advantage is space savings. I added a piezo bridge to two of my taylor solidbodies and didn't want to drill a new hole for the piezo volume control, so I added a stacked knob.

They save a lot of space.

I use a volume pedal when gigging so any adjustments on the fly don't need my hands. I imagine its easier to swipe the side of the knob which I';ve done but I can't imagine its a huge difference.

The do stick up axially a little more obviously so that could interfere with a tremolo arm etc.

My only worry is the reliability of the more complex mechanism and the sometimes smaller potentiometer resistor rings.

mr. beaumont 05-02-2024 01:33 PM

They're on my Danelectro. I find it easiest to just not use them and leave everything wide open.

frankmcr 05-02-2024 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 7453754)
They're on my Danelectro. I find it easiest to just not use them and leave everything wide open.

It's a Danelectro I was thinking about.

I knew what they looked like and what they were called but not what they actually did. Never knew anybody who had a guitar with them.

Seems like an interesting idea now that I know. Might be fun to fool around with.