The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Inexpensive classical guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158690)

bshpmark 07-10-2009 12:58 PM

Inexpensive classical guitar

(sorry, I meant "inexpensive" in the header)

I want to get an inexpensive classical guitar just to have one to experiment with. By inexpensive I mean less than three George Washingtons. Yes, I know I am not getting a great guitar but I am not a classical player. I simply want one to have on hand to experiment with and try my hand at learning some fingerstyle and some light strumming on.

I have been looking at the Yamaha CG11S and Cordoba Dolce 7/8. What are some opinions on these two and any other recommendations. I think I might prefer a solid cedar top just to have something besides spruce.

Tony Burns 07-10-2009 01:32 PM

300 might be stretching it -Yamahas are decent (i know from past experiences ) throw in another 3 hundred and for about 6 hundred youll get a great guitar -I bought a Lucida concerto 666 a couple of years ago and its a phenominal guitar for a non-classical player

jayhawk 07-10-2009 02:15 PM

I had a Yamaha for years that I thought was a good inexpensive classical. I would second the Lucida. If you can come up with extra money, they are well worth it.

Jack

gary0319 07-10-2009 02:26 PM

Vote #3 for Lucida, I have a Lucida Picada Flamenco that is great. However, if the 3 clams is your budget, you can find a pretty decent Yamaha for that, especially on the used market.

Gary

TBman 07-10-2009 03:22 PM

I bought a classical to learn as well, a Lucero LC-100. GC carries them. Google it and you'll see the very low price. I spent another $5 the other day and put a bone saddle in it. Go to my website below and listen to "Winter's Death" to get a good idea of what it sounds like. It does not sound like a toy nor does it have that "boxy" sound that inexpensive guitars sometimes have. There's no reason to spend at the top of your budget as you can use the leftover cash to buy some instructional books and dvds.

BTW this guitar is not cedar, I don't even think the top is solid spruce, nor did I care when I bought it. Technique on a classical is more important in many ways than the guitar itself.

Kitchen Guitars 07-10-2009 07:59 PM

A great cheapie is the Yamaha CG60. It is a student, no frills, tank. They are dirt cheap and I have found nothing in the sub 1k I have liked more enough to be bothered upgrading.
This is the guitar everone gets at Christmas, strums it once then sells it on craigslist CHEAP CHEAP

dawalsh 07-11-2009 12:01 AM

I'm going to buy one tomorrow too (a cheapie Yamaha) . I've never played it before until today, lots of fun.

Howard Klepper 07-11-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshpmark (Post 1897985)
(sorry, I meant "inexpensive" in the header)

I want to get an inexpensive classical guitar just to have one to experiment with. By inexpensive I mean less than three George Washingtons.

Less than $3? A well-worn Esteban in unplayable condition?

jimmy bookout 07-11-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Klepper (Post 1898503)

There you go. Everything's going along nicely, everyone's playing well with each other, and then Howard has to bring up the Hatted One. Howard, Howard, Howard...

Jimmy

BigRed51 07-11-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Klepper (Post 1898503)

You are obviously a high roller ... I was trying to think of something for less than $0.75 ..... ;)

bshpmark 07-11-2009 03:26 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will check into them all ESPECIALLY the high end Esteban!

Frankp 07-12-2009 10:07 AM

Short scale cheapie

I am also looking for a decent and cheap classical... However I need a short scale (1/2 or 3/4). I had a mtn biking accident a week ago and broke 4 ribs, fractured my shoulder blade and tore up my rotator cuff. So I won't be playing my full size classical for a while. I would suspect that many of the "children's" classicals are just toys that won't stay in tune and have extremely narrow necks. Any opinions on short scaled lucidas, cordobas, yamahas, etc ? Anyone have a used one gAthering dust that they would like to sell? Thanks. Frankp

bshpmark 07-12-2009 05:29 PM

Wow, Frank. Hope you heal up and recover soon! Sounds like you took a nasty spill. Get well soon. I've dealt with the rotator cuff bit and also the broken ribs. Not a fun situation to be in whatsoever. Keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

dodadedadude 07-12-2009 08:49 PM

Inexpensive Classical

Hi,
I actually have a Cordoba 40R for sale... I am getting rid of a lot of stuff because I need to move. It is a surprising good sounding guitar with solid ceder top and laminated rosewood back and side. I will sell it for $300 if you want it. Very good condition.
Thank you.

stratokatsu 07-13-2009 06:38 AM

Yamaha + bone saddle + good medium tension strings = great value and decent guitar!

My little CG111C is a sleeper that serious classical playing friends are mildly impressed with. It won't blow away any real expensive classical, but it works well, sounds good and is very playable with the saddle cut down to lower action for me, who is MUCH more attuned to electrics and steel string guitars.