The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Playing a guitar after a hand or wrist injury? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184851)

vindibona1 08-29-2018 09:05 AM

Even though this is a resurrected thread, I want to offer something that I didn't see in any of the other replies: PHYSICAL THERAPY. The time that the wrist is immobile gives the other tissues time to shorten and stiffen. Most insurance programs will cover the cost because hands are essential for every job, not only guitar playing.

It will take time. But I'm going to strongly recommend the therapy. My dad broke his wrist in a roller skating accident at 53. He didn't see a PT and never got the fluidity back in his wrist that I think he could have achieved.

Troy T. Coustic 08-29-2018 09:20 AM

Hello, I believe this is my first post. Quite timely too. Long story short. I've been playing in bands for a long time and just recently decided to start doing solo acoustic work. Right in the midst of this transition, and preparing, I suffered a very bad accident on my fretting hand. I was "forcefully" opening a package that had tight strapping with very long, sharp scissors. It slipped off and went right into the bottom part of my hand. 13 stitches and alot of agony. It's a very long and deep laceration. I'm usually very careful with my hands, but apparently had a lapse moment. I'm sick about this whole thing. Anyways, I was lucky because I just missed my wrist and it did not hit my fingers. I am able to type, so I am able to work which is good. I get the stitches out next week, but after receiving initial improper advice for treatment, etc, my hand got infected. I am on antibiotics now and just waiting and hoping for any kind of improvement. It's really bad......really red and pussed. I don't know when I will be playing guitar again. One day I look forward to getting back to making this transition. Hopefully sooner than I think.

Misifus 08-29-2018 02:08 PM

I have broken the fifth metacarpal on my left (fretting) hand twice, once in 1972, and once in 2014. Both times I could not play while the hand was immobilized, but, as I recal, I regained my playing fairly quickly once I could use it again. The rule was lots of careful stretching, and squeezing a foam ball a lot.

musicman1951 08-29-2018 07:13 PM

I have a plate and 7 screws in my left wrist. PT saved me, but it wasn't much fun in the short run. It had been many months since the accident and I had a lot of soft tissue to break down - which is done with some considerable pain.

But I would never tell anyone else that pain is a normal part of their process. Talk to the professionals.