The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Taylor-like" guitars. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138593)

Ranger1964 11-01-2008 06:02 AM

"Taylor-like" guitars.

It seems that the majority of the Pac Rim imports are copying the construction techniques of Martin guitars in an attempt to capture a bit of the venerable and coveted Martin sound. Are there any imports, or have you heard any "mid-priced" guitars, that target or replicate the Taylor sound?

It seems that every time we discuss a Taylor guitar here, some folks agree that "The xxx model is wonderful", and some will say "I liked it but the Martin or Larrrivee xxx (fill in the guitar) was head and shoulders better, so I got that" but it seems that what we're' really hearing is the "Martin or Larrrivee xxx (fill in the guitar) sounds different, and I prefer that sound (or did that day) so I bought it".

Are there any guitars that sound a lot like Taylors? Ones that if you were blindfolded you might think were Taylors. If so, which Taylors? I have not really found any yet.

Brent Hutto 11-01-2008 06:16 AM

I can't offhand think of any attempts at "Taylor clones" per se in the sense that certain Blueridge models (among several others) claim to be directly aiming for that pre-war Martin sound.

But if you broadly characterise the Taylor market niche as nice-looking, easy-playing guitars optimized for performers with cutaways, fast (even electric-like) necks and built-in electronic packages...well then there are any number of similar guitars. Everything from Breedloves to Takamines to a host of brands and house-brands for guitars made in a variety of Asian factories. Judging from what I see in guitar shops Taylor is simply the premium priced, well-built leader in a very broad and deep field. These others are aiming at "knocking off" Taylor, it's just that they and Taylor are both pitching at a large and popular market segment.

And I would suggest if you playing it through a pickup and a PA system anyway, the "Taylor sound" is a lot less distinct concept than the tone and volume that someone like Blueridge tries to accomplish with scalloped braces and old-Martin-clone construction. I would think it pretty easy to make an Auditorium sized Takamine played through a pickup and PA sound a lot like an Auditorium sized Taylor played through a pickup and PA.

But in a purely acoustic setting, if you trying to make a brand-new Asian-built dreadnought sound like a pre-war D-18...you've got your work cut out for you. Because a lot of people know that sound and you either have it or you don't.

Ranger1964 11-01-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto (Post 1642851)
I can't offhand think of any attempts at "Taylor clones" per se in the sense that certain Blueridge models (among several others) claim to be directly aiming for that pre-war Martin sound.

But if you broadly characterise the Taylor market niche as nice-looking, easy-playing guitars optimized for performers with cutaways, fast (even electric-like) necks and built-in electronic packages...well then there are any number of similar guitars. Everything from Breedloves to Takamines to a host of brands and house-brands for guitars made in a variety of Asian factories. Judging from what I see in guitar shops Taylor is simply the premium priced, well-built leader in a very broad and deep field. These others are aiming at "knocking off" Taylor, it's just that they and Taylor are both pitching at a large and popular market segment.

And I would suggest if you playing it through a pickup and a PA system anyway, the "Taylor sound" is a lot less distinct concept than the tone and volume that someone like Blueridge tries to accomplish with scalloped braces and old-Martin-clone construction. I would think it pretty easy to make an Auditorium sized Takamine played through a pickup and PA sound a lot like an Auditorium sized Taylor played through a pickup and PA.

But in a purely acoustic setting, if you trying to make a brand-new Asian-built dreadnought sound like a pre-war D-18...you've got your work cut out for you. Because a lot of people know that sound and you either have it or you don't.

I am thinking purely from an un-plugged perspective. I've played quite a few Takamines and never thought Taylor when I played them. I have not had the opportunity to play a Breedlove yet. I guess when I say Taylor-like, I'm referring to a c-shaped neck, 1 3/4" nut, nice low action, and nice bright balanced sound.

iDavid 11-01-2008 08:46 AM

Maybe a Composite acoustic?

Bright sound

3/4 nut

slim neck

low action....

no wood however........

jonlee 11-01-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1964 (Post 1642859)
I am thinking purely from an un-plugged perspective. I've played quite a few Takamines and never thought Taylor when I played them. I have not had the opportunity to play a Breedlove yet. I guess when I say Taylor-like, I'm referring to a c-shaped neck, 1 3/4" nut, nice low action, and nice bright balanced sound.

that sounds like breedlove to me.

fchas 11-01-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonlee (Post 1643057)
that sounds like breedlove to me.

After all Larry Breedlove or Kim Breedlove or maybe both worked for Taylor once upon a time didnt they.......I love my Taylor....I love my Breedlove frank

DenverSteve 11-03-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDavid (Post 1642908)
Maybe a Composite acoustic?

Bright sound

3/4 nut

slim neck

low action....

no wood however........

Composite acoustics have a different sound than any wooden acoustic. Additionally, I believe the question was makers who were "targeting" the Taylor sound which would pretty much eleminate any non-wooden guitar because if you were trying to emulate a specific instrument, you would generally copy the design, construction and materials.

iDavid 11-03-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorSteve (Post 1644390)
Composite acoustics have a different sound than any wooden acoustic. Additionally, I believe the question was makers who were "targeting" the Taylor sound which would pretty much eleminate any non-wooden guitar because if you were trying to emulate a specific instrument, you would generally copy the design, construction and materials.

The Legacy with modern voicing copies the Taylor Bracing somewhat and the Vintage voicing copies the Martin bracing somewhat

but ya, its not wood.....

e8n 11-04-2008 05:00 PM

Parkwood

I've played a couple of Parkwood guitars that were quite nice and kind of a half way between a Taylor and Martin.

-Dave

Kevin A 11-04-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1964 (Post 1642848)
Are there any guitars that sound a lot like Taylors? Ones that if you were blindfolded you might think were Taylors.

http://www.craxor.com/foftar/Guitar-big.jpg

:D:D

Turp 11-04-2008 09:05 PM

I have yet to play or read anything that is packaged like Taylor. IMHO opinion, there are several companies that have 1 3/4 necks with a simular neck feel. I think at one time Taylor had more of an advantage in "feel" but now there are many suitable competitors. I can tell you, according to my impressions, Larry Breedlove's employment at Taylor pretty much is the only thing of kinship between the products made by Taylor and Breedlove. Tonally they are two very different animals. Both are exceptional as are many other builders.

nordhaven 11-05-2008 08:28 PM

Wood Song guitars claim to use the same construction techniques as Taylor.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3...ontfullhu1.jpg

reags 11-05-2008 11:32 PM

defenitely Breedlove imo.

66strummer 11-07-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin A (Post 1645230)

:lol::roll::lol::roll:!!!!!!!!! I would have to disagree, but that's too funny! I about fell out of my chair on that one.......:ha:.

All I can say is that a friend of mine who owns a Taylor 314 played my Stanford PSD-20 the other nite and was very impressed with the sound and neck on it. That is saying something because he loves his Taylor. He commented that my guitar had very balanced (and bigger) sound. Plus he said the neck on mine was perfect for playing a long time without his hands getting fatigued. The Stanfords have straight scalloped (not forward-X) bracing, so the sound is very balanced. The bass is deep and low but doesnt overpower the rest of the tone. Gotta try one, Bro!:D

Ryan

Lefty Guy 11-07-2008 04:07 AM

I think Tanglewoods sound quite Taylor-like, particularly the TW15 Dread which is not dissimilar to my Taylor 810CE.

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/p...8&sID=26465104