The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can't change batteries!!!!! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67732)

henryrobinett 09-04-2005 10:01 PM

Can't change batteries!!!!!

This is my first visit and post to the forum. I have two Taylor guitars. An Anniversary XXX-DR and a 414-CE. The 414-CE was recently given to me in exchange for some recording work I did. I've never used the electronics. Just now messing round in my studio I decided to plug in. No sound. Figured I'd change the batteries. I opened up the back - the is the 414-CE. Took me a while to figure two batteries were inside. It was a challenge getting the first one out. Impossible to get the second one, scrunched wayyyy in the back. How in the heck is a person suppose to get this thing out!??? Hints and tiips are more than welcome. Please!

Blueser100 09-04-2005 11:16 PM

I just changed the batteries on my 314ce and had trouble getting the second battery out too. I had forgotten that the dealer had wrapped that battery in a Post-It Note in order to prevent rattling. Once I remembered this, I lightly dampened and stuck my finger inside the compartment, got a grip on the post it note, and gently pulled the other battery out. Maybe yours has a post it note in there too.

Folkstrum 09-05-2005 12:05 AM

You could always shoot off an email to Taylor. Mine's a B$#%& to chage too, but it can be done--albeit by loosening all the bass strings, and fuddling around a bit. Hate those 9v's!

Imapickn 09-05-2005 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folkstrum
You could always shoot off an email to Taylor. Mine's a B$#%& to chage too, but it can be done--albeit by loosening all the bass strings, and fuddling around a bit. Hate those 9v's!

?????????? Whaaat?? :confused:

henryrobinett 09-05-2005 09:59 AM

Amazingly enough there IS a post-it note inside. I'll try that one out. Thanks Taylorgyrl!

BTW it's not a 9v but a AA battery in there. I actually thought about loosening the strings and getting up under there but I don't think that would help. It's encased in a plastic case.

Blueser100 09-05-2005 12:23 PM

Yeah I don't see how loosening the strings will help you access the battery compartment.

beachbum205 09-05-2005 01:09 PM

Yes, many others here have had the same problem, including me on my 455ce. I ended up (and I'm not making this up) repeatidly slamming the bottom of the guitar on my bed (the soft part, not the headboard) to slowly jog the second battery down. It moved incrimentally each time, and after about 45 minutes, I finally got it out. I was very nervous about doing this, but could find no other way.

The post-it note is stupid idea, and it is annoying that you pay this much for ES on your guitar, and it is such a poor design that this has to be inserted to make it work right (which is still doesn't) I'll never buy ES again. Don't get me started...

I now use a small piece of string, (actually a strand from a broom) that is lightly taped to both batteries- prevents rattle and is easy to grap on to to remove the batteries. I also try to change them frequently so that there is no leakage like I had the first time.

Hope that helps- good luck!

henryrobinett 10-20-2008 10:36 AM

Old, old post but still relevant

This was my original and only posting to tis forum. But it's still my same problem, with perhaps, an update.

I STILL have not gotten this bater out. But this weekend I have a performance where, for the first time, I need to play this Taylor plugged in. I've been trying to get the battery out for a week now.

The postit has disintegrated trying to pull it out. I pulled out the postit, but the battery remains. I got some long tiny tweezers but I can't get it out. I tried slamming the guitar re[eatedly but the battery remains.

Lastly I got some superglue type stuff and put it on the flat end, wooden portion of a unsharpened pencil, left it in for an hour to dry, but even THAT doesn't work.
I'm about to buy a proper drill and drill that f%&#@ out.

Any successful suggestions, please?

I met a higher up executive of Taylor and he said, "Oh just send it in. We'll fix it for you!" Yeah, right. I'm not about to send it to San Diego for this.

Bob Womack 10-20-2008 11:33 AM

If you've gone this far, you might try using an "easy-out" to drill in and pull it out as if it were a bolt stuck in an engine block. I'm not sure a battery will give you enough purchase to do so. Good luck!

Bob

henryrobinett 10-20-2008 03:17 PM

Well I've never removed a bolt stuck in a engine block, so I'm a bit nervous about it.

Gutch 10-20-2008 03:40 PM

There is a small vent hole on the back side of the battery compartment that you should be able to use a paper clip or other small wire/pin to push the battery out. You can try to access it from the inside of the guitar, but that will be a major PITA.

Instead, try the following --

1. take the battery cover off the end.
2. Use a thin pocket knife to separate and remove the unit cover (Very thin and flexible plastic).
3. Under the cover are 4 small phillips head screws. Remove them.
4. Remove the battery case from the guitar body and unplug the cable.

You now have a clear access to the vent hole to push the battery out.

As an aside, it sounds like the battery may be corroded inside the unit, preventing its removal. I would contact Taylor Customer Service to see if they can send a replacement battery unit. Since they are just downstate from you, chances are good that you'd receive it before the end of the week, in time to replace the one you have before for your gig.

Good luck!

rlambert 10-20-2008 06:06 PM

Try needlenose pliers

I had the exact same problem recently on my 310CE. I bought it used from a dealer and the first time I went to replace the AA batteries, the second one was jammed in there and I could not get it out. Amazingly, the battery had been wrapped up in a piece of paper very similar to a post it note and this was keeping the battery from slipping out.

After trying a few things, I eventually went to Home Depot and bought the smallest pair of needlenose pliers they had. I put the pliers up into the AA slot and grabbed the terminal head of the battery. Once I had a good hold on the battery, I pulled and it came right out.

Playn4thedog 10-20-2008 06:08 PM

Super Glue

Before trying anything destructive you might try getting a pencil with an eraser... if they still make pencils like that... anyway take a little bit of super glue, very little, and put it on the eraser then stick the eraser to the battery give it a chance to set up and pull out the pencil and battery. CAUTION do not superglue the battery in there good luck.

henryrobinett 10-20-2008 09:17 PM

Thank you all very much! Well, if you had read through the posts, and maybe you did, you might have seen that I did the super-glue thing. Although I didn't apply it to the eraser, but rather the flat wooden side of a pencil.

I also bought thin tweezers, but that didn't work.

I think multiple gluing has left residue which makes it harder to adhere -- glue on glue - even though I've tried to swipe it off.

It comes only so far and gets stuck. It comes out a good way but stops before I can get a handle on it. Quite frustrating!

I will have to take it to the shop. Excellent advice about removing the battery cover. I can't do it, without fear of damaging something. There's a Taylor dealer in town. Tomorrow it's going.

jeastman 10-21-2008 01:31 PM

Try accessing the batteries by removing the input component. When you have the round battery cover off you can remove the adhesive cover (I use a small pocket knife). Just get underneath the top plastic part and pry it off. It will restick. Underneath there are a few small screws. Take those out. The entire input assembly, including the battery compartment should come out. It is connected with a cable which is easy to remove (like removing an ethernet or phone cable). From there you will have a lot easier time getting at the batteries without having to slam your guitar around.

If all else fails...and this won't help you right now...I had a problem and I called the Taylor factory and they shipped me (at no expense to me) a new input component which I replaced and it's as good as new.

Good luck!