The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Signing a waiver when checking in a guitar? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158894)

tayloralf 07-13-2009 01:25 PM

Signing a waiver when checking in a guitar?

Hi everyone

I know there's been a lot of threads concerning flying with a guitar, but i did a search and couldn't find the answer to this question:

I recently flown overseas for a gig and took along an inexpensive guitar with me. I checked in the guitar at the counter as a 'fragile item', and the airline agent made me sign a waiver basically saying I am on my own if the guitar is damaged. Does this really mean I have no way of asking for compensation if my guitar arrives damaged? Also, they could ask me to sign a waiver because I checked it in at the counter...what if I had tried to carry it onboard and was asked by the flight attendent to essentially 'gate check' it? I don't imagine they will send me back out to the counter to sign a form...what happens then?

Thanks!

walkin_man 07-13-2009 01:30 PM

Write a song about it. ;)

SteveS 07-13-2009 01:32 PM

If you sign a waiver then you agree to everything on that waiver. If it says that you can not ask for damages, then that's what it means.
Checking at the gate may have avoided that waiver, or not.
I recently traveled to Ecuador with a guitar that was checked at the gate. They didn't ask me to sign anything and the guitar made it through safely.

OddManOut 07-13-2009 02:10 PM

Buy an insurance policy on your guitars that includes a travel clause. Then you need not worry. ;)

alvinjismyl 07-13-2009 07:29 PM

Not sure if this is relevant

I jsut viewed Bob Taylor's response to UA Breaks Guitars video, in it he mentioned that Taylor's Website has info regarding TSA regulations allowing guitar to be carry-on-board that many aren't aware of. To print it out and bring TSA regulations to counter when you next fly. So perhaps you should surf that site and verify it. I didn't cos I'm in a bit of hurry to get out of house but thought I would chime in a little with my 2 cts worth. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12WF...eature=related

gray 07-13-2009 07:45 PM

Just watched the YouTube posted by alvinjismyl.

Man, Bob Taylor is one classy guy.

SteveS 07-13-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinjismyl (Post 1900700)
I jsut viewed Bob Taylor's response to UA Breaks Guitars video, in it he mentioned that Taylor's Website has info regarding TSA regulations allowing guitar to be carry-on-board that many aren't aware of.........

That's all fine, but if someone says that the flight is full and you'll have to check that guitar, you'll have to. That's what I've found.
On empty flights, it is not a problem - full ones - forget about it. You'll be check your guitar.

Larry Pattis 07-13-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinjismyl (Post 1900700)
I jsut viewed Bob Taylor's response to UA Breaks Guitars video, in it he mentioned that Taylor's Website has info regarding TSA regulations allowing guitar to be carry-on-board that many aren't aware of. To print it out and bring TSA regulations to counter when you next fly. So perhaps you should surf that site and verify it. I didn't cos I'm in a bit of hurry to get out of house but thought I would chime in a little with my 2 cts worth.

TSA employees are not gate agents, nor do they work for any airline company.

The TSA letter has been around for years, and it was important at a time when TSA agents were not letting people through security with their guitars.

That letter has no bearing on what an airlines employee (or airline policy) will allow onto a plane.

Blueser100 07-13-2009 11:10 PM

I know that Southwest Airlines has damage coverage that is beyond the value of my Martin D28 so I never take out insurance. Here is what their policy is on baggage:

"Liability: Unless excess value is declared and charges paid at the time of checkin, Southwest Airlines’ liability for lost, damaged or delayed baggage is limited to $3,300.00 per fare-paying Customer"

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

EverythingMusic 07-14-2009 06:02 AM

Many home owner's policies will cover a non-working musician's guitar even when traveling against, damage, loss, theft, fire, etc. A working musician needs a special rider or seperate policy.

I've found that if the guitar can fit in the overhead bin, they don't mind you carrrying it on, but on many planes, they don't fit. You can ask them to put it in the closet and sometimes they will. More often than not they ask you to gate check it, which is better because it is hand delivered to the ground crew.

I pack my socks with my guitar, adding extra padding to support the headstock in all directions and adding extra padding around the endpin if I can. If it has an endpin in it, I take it out. Most jacks aren't tapered and won't act like a wedge so I don't remove them. Oh and have a good case...

michaelhager 07-14-2009 06:24 AM

The most important thing to do when carrying an instrument on board is BE POLITE, SMILE and NEVER GET ANGRY with the gate agent or anyone else. if you do, they will MOST certainly make you do the opposite of whatever you want.

I carry my Taylor LTG in a soft Blue Heron gig bag. I sling it over my shoulder so the already small profile is less obvious to the gate agent.

In my last dozen flights or so, I politely approached the gate agent and smiling, asked if I could please pre-board so I could find a place for my instrument. So far, I have not been turned down. The LTG in that bag will fit in the overhead of any aircraft currently in use including the small 16 seat Beechcraft commuter planes and the neck will push to the rear of the compartment and allow a second bag to be stored in front of it...

On my last flight, the flight attendant asked me about my guitar and when I told her what it was, she asked to see it. I was feeling a bit guilty about blocking the aisle for other passengers as she Oood and Awed over it. But it made her even nicer about making sure it was in a safe place.

Before I started asking about pre-boarding, I generally never had a problem taking it on board. Only once was I asked to gate check it, so I let the Gate Agent attach a gate check tag and once in the jetway, I simply removed the tag and the flight attendants didn't look twice when I carried it on board.

Now, all that said, My LTG is a very small bodied guitar, so if you're taking your dreadnought or jumbo along, your experience may vary. It may not fit in the overhead, and in a hard case it most certainly won't fit.

Also, make sure you don't have extra strings in the case or your string clippers... You WILL lose them, I know from personal early experience.

alvinjismyl 07-14-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 1900715)
That's all fine, but if someone says that the flight is full and you'll have to check that guitar, you'll have to. That's what I've found.
On empty flights, it is not a problem - full ones - forget about it. You'll be check your guitar.

Thanks for the info! Makes sense to me :)

alvinjismyl 07-14-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pattis (Post 1900716)
TSA employees are not gate agents, nor do they work for any airline company.

The TSA letter has been around for years, and it was important at a time when TSA agents were not letting people through security with their guitars.

That letter has no bearing on what an airlines employee (or airline policy) will allow onto a plane.

Never knew that. Appreciate another perspective. :up: