The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Adirondack/Rosewood Dread. Who? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138161)

thunderlung 10-25-2008 08:27 AM

Adirondack/Rosewood Dread. Who?

I don't post much but I hang out here and pick up tips all the time. Love it. Anyway, just curious where your hearts lie. If you were shopping for a higher end Adi/Rosewood Dread where would your money likely go? Collings? Bourgeois? Martin? Santa Cruz? Webber? Custom build by luthier(this is what I am most interested in since I really don't know about any)? Thanks!

Compurocker 10-25-2008 08:32 AM

This question is a very, very difficult to answer. So many variables...

drjordan 10-25-2008 08:48 AM

The Collings D2HA would definitely be the guitar I'd choose. I have a friend who plays a Bourgeois Vintage D. It is a great guitar, but all of the other Bourgeios guitars I've played (I played 10 of them recently shopping for my new guitar) weren't even in the ballpark of most of the Collings I've played save 1 other. So there are some great Bourgeois Vintage D's out there, but I didn't find one in my shopping.

Although the Collings D2HA would be my choice, the Santa Cruz D or DPW would have probably been my second choice. They also seemed to be more consistant than Bourgeois. Also check out Huss & Dalton. We played several really good ones at Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN. The H&D's they had were also better than the Bourgeois that they had.

rforman15 10-25-2008 08:54 AM

First and foremost I would go for mahogany and an OM, but if you must have a D and it must be rosewood, there is really nothing better than a great Martin.

check this out: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AMG.htm

and then check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye1cmWcqro

even as someone who doesn't like rosewood or dreads, this guitar makes me weak in the knees, I must have it. please buy it and save me the divorce :)

jonlee 10-25-2008 09:42 AM

breedlove. played one for about an hour... couldn't stop playing it. =)

Folkstrum 10-25-2008 09:46 AM

There are a couple of luthiers here that will build you your own custom for less than you might think. I'd get 'em while I could. I'd recommend Glen DeRusha, whose Lutz Spruce/Rosewood handbuilt was first prize in the NY State Flatpicking championship this past June in Mayville NY. I played it, as did Jack Lawrence, Ron Block, Sierra Hull--it was a killer axe, HUGE sound, and Glen is quite reasonable (IMO). He's a member here. A PM might be a decent idea. :up:

rforman15 10-25-2008 09:49 AM

Go to the Source grasshopper.

cornwhiskey 10-25-2008 10:04 AM

Bourgeois Signature D. Hands down.

For a more "bargain" price, I would recommend the Larrivee D-60. I would buy one of these over a similarly priced Martin D-28 any day.

Also, if you have the cash, a Goodall TrD is about as close as you can get to an acoustic assault weapon- by far the loudest and most aggressive Adi/ Rosewood dread out there. It has a less traditional tone, but, oh the VOLUME.

rg

rforman15 10-25-2008 10:12 AM

agreed, a Goodall D, step back Mr. , you can't handle it. What would really be the ticket is the Goodall Long D. I'd go for something like mahogany with adirondack.

BBWW 10-25-2008 10:16 AM

Revival Series

You should look at the Revival Series Dreadnoughts in Rosewood and Mahogany. Priced right, sound great and well built. Collings and Santa Cruz would also be a great choice IMHO, you will never go to guitar hell for buying one of those.

I haven't owned a Dreadnought in years but if I were to buy one new it would be a Breedlove, used...well I may go for an older used Martin...sometimes I get a little nostalgic, but I digress.

Howard Klepper 10-25-2008 11:16 AM

If my budget allowed it, I would go to John Slobod (Circa Guitars).

ChuckS 10-25-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlung (Post 1637377)
I don't post much but I hang out here and pick up tips all the time. Love it. Anyway, just curious where your hearts lie. If you were shopping for a higher end Adi/Rosewood Dread where would your money likely go? Collings? Bourgeois? Martin? Santa Cruz? Webber? Custom build by luthier(this is what I am most interested in since I really don't know about any)? Thanks!

Call Brock Poling. He may still have the cocobolo/adi highlander he built for a recent show.

surfoxy 10-25-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlung (Post 1637377)

I went through this recently, and after playing several Collings, Huss, Gibson (slope), Tippin, and a bunch of Martins, I ended up with a Martin HD-28V custom adirondack. I played 3 of these, and 2 I had little interest in. You never know what's really going to work unless you play them, I think.

I was not expecting to buy new or buy Martin. This one just sounded right.

I would not recommend mine to anyone else, except to say I love it. I love a lot of other guitars too, and this one fit in my lineup. What will fit in yours? Love to hear how it ends up for you.

Oh, and "Thunderlung" is a great username. I don't know why, that's just cool. Maybe it's my cycling background.

rmyAddison 10-25-2008 12:14 PM

Depending on your budget I would recommend a Martin 175th Anniversary Americas Guitar, Adi over Madagascar. I have played Bourgeois signatures and Country Boys, Santa Cruz Tony Rice Pros and tons of Collings.

Admittedly I am a Martin fan, but to me the Americas Guitars is the best new rosewood dread I have played, period. If you like the vintage sound, highly recommended.

min7b5 10-25-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjordan (Post 1637388)
...Although the Collings D2HA would be my choice, the Santa Cruz D or DPW would have probably been my second choice. ....

I had a Collings D2hA for a while. I made a little vid of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSg6OGHKOY I also had a regular d2h some years back. The Collings is a great guitar. It is a tighter, more focused sound as opposed to the more open Martin thing. Neither is "better", you just have decide what appeals to you, or get two:) I now play a D/PW with an adi top, hide glue, and a 1 3/4 nut.