The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Collings vs. Santa Cruz (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185273)

Ruble 05-23-2010 11:05 AM

Santa Cruz... Every day of the week and twice on Sunday...

Chris

Strumming Fool 05-23-2010 12:27 PM

I remember looking for the perfect spruce/rosewood OM one day at Mandolin Brothers in NY. I test drove 4-5 specimens of both builders, and I loved them all. The Collings guitars sounded brighter, more chimey and contemporary, while the Santa Cruz guitars sounded woodier and warmer with more of a vintage vibe. Couldn't make up my mind at the end of the day. However, I found a breath of fresh air that same day in a lowly Martin OM-21 (and I'm not a huge Martin fan), which on that day came as close to the perfect spruce/rosewood OM that lived in my mind's "ear"! So as they say, "on any given day...". Why quibble? They're all great guitars - it's simply a matter of personal taste, don't you think?

$ongWriter 05-23-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 2233877)
I own a Collings OM1A deep body that I really enjoy. However, I have recently played some outstanding examples of Santa Cruz guitars, too. I think it's a toss-up and depends on the particular guitar and your playing style.

- Glenn

I agree with this statement 100%

Jeff M 05-23-2010 06:15 PM

Collings.
Prefer the tone.

Bridgepin 05-23-2010 06:58 PM

I don't think that you could go wrong with either one, they both do a great job, there are a lot of great guitar builders out there right now. What a time to play acoustic guitars Hhmmm :wink:

JTFoote 05-23-2010 11:18 PM

I'll have to go with Collings. I've only sampled one Santa Cruz out of a couple dozen that really made me sit up and take notice ... but I own a Collings that is still improving every year, and it was outstanding from the first time I played it. Very few guitars have so impressed me that I've been compelled to haul out the credit card and take one home after the first hour of play, and I check out guitars in music stores every chance I get. More often than not, I'll walk out without a backwards glance, but the Collings had me convinced of its relative merits very rapidly.

The Santa Cruz I played was nearly that good in many respects, but not quite. If it had been cheaper, I would have changed my mind, but in order to get it, I would have been forced to sell the Collings, and it would take one hell of an incredible instrument to break my lock on that guitar. I've played other new Collings guitars that were not anywhere as good as that particular Santa Cruz, but none of them, the Santa Cruz included, were even in the same ball park as my Collings, not when it comes to sheer tone, balance, dynamic range, projection, sustain, and playability.

But ... if I had never played the Collings first, that Santa Cruz would be in my music room, even as we speak. It was a fine instrument, and the best of at least fifty guitars that I played on that day, while cruising a Vintage Expo.

... JT

citycountryguy 05-24-2010 06:42 AM

Both make great guitars. The Collings CJ is my favorite...

Jim 05-24-2010 07:15 AM

Collings. Just my personal preference in tone and playability.

cc132 05-24-2010 09:15 AM

Collings, for a number of reasons.

1. They're in Austin, about 10 miles from me. Greatest city on earth :)

2. I own one, and since I have, I haven't wanted anything else.

3. They make the C-10, which Santa Cruz can't compete with.

revive 05-24-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTFoote (Post 2234576)
But ... if I had never played the Collings first, that Santa Cruz would be in my music room, even as we speak. It was a fine instrument, and the best of at least fifty guitars that I played on that day, while cruising a Vintage Expo.

... JT

Just wondering, which SC model did you try?

revive 05-24-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody b (Post 2233909)
Santa Cruz. Both companies make really nice guitars, but Santa Cruz supports the AGF.

Were you not being politically correct? :D

SuperB23 05-24-2010 09:26 AM

I've played some pretty nice Collings guitars. I have yet to play a bad Santa Cruz guitar! To me the Santa Cruz guitars feel more hand built buy luthiers and the Collings feel more built by CNC machines, like Taylors do. I know they both use CNC machines and a lot of handbuilt stages in making their guitars. I prefer Santa Cruz overall. My favorite Santa Cruz models are the 12 Fret D and the F. I've owned 12 different Santa Cruz guitars and they have all been knock outs!

JTFoote 05-24-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revive (Post 2234845)
Just wondering, which SC model did you try?

It was a Vintage Artist, with a red spruce top and a sunburst. I've not seen another like it since. I assumed at the time that it was some kind of custom order. It was the lightest guitar (in weight) I think I've ever picked up; so light, I wondered later if it would hold up over time.

Sure sounded really good, though ... and had excellent playability for a guitar with a factory set-up.

... JT

Antonio Salieri 05-24-2010 04:19 PM

I firmly believe in supporting our Texas economy, but between Collings and Santa Cruz, we* would purchase a Santa Cruz Dread Pre War.

* My wife gets the nice acoustics :guitar:, I go for used affordable electrics :ha:.

Tony Burns 05-24-2010 04:45 PM

Their both great guitars -kinda like deciding which one of your children is the favorite. Glad im not you !