The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fingerstyle players - how often to change strings when gigging? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685123)

Benjo 04-26-2024 10:06 PM

Fingerstyle players - how often to change strings when gigging?

I like to leave my strings on for a good 2-3 months. I play most every day for a few hours at least, but don't gig. The strings do lose their brilliance but I like a more muted mellow warmer sound so it suits me. But I was wondering for those who were gigging.Do you find that you need to change your strings more often, and if so how often? I would think that playing amplified makes it much less Important to do but that's just me guessing.

LAPlayer 04-26-2024 11:54 PM

It's going to sound trite but, honestly, it's when they need replacing. I go by feel and sound. I don't have a X hours then replace.

Doug Young 04-26-2024 11:59 PM

I change them when I notice the intonation going, mostly, so amplification has little to do with it. I don't keep track, really. I could be a few months on a guitar I don't play all that often, or a week on a guitar that's just gotten plenty of playing time.

rstaight 04-27-2024 03:42 AM

I know of folks who put on a new set before every gig. Others every 2 or 3 gigs.

Then there are others who change them when ever. It's all personal taste and what you feel comfortable with.

TheGITM 04-27-2024 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstaight (Post 7450830)
I know of folks who put on a new set before every gig. Others every 2 or 3 gigs.

Then there are others who change them when ever. It's all personal taste and what you feel comfortable with.

Same.

The guy I know that gigs professionally all over the country changes them before every show. He is an acoustic singer/songwriter, so it's just him up there... and he hates to have a string break during a performance. That is his main reason for new strings for every show.

Nymuso 04-27-2024 06:22 AM

I’m addicted to that clear, pianistic sound in the lower bass strings. I am not a guy who prefers that “dead, woody” sound. Consequently, I change them frequently.

Benjo 04-27-2024 03:46 PM

Thanks appreciate the responses
Because I play 12 string exclusively, changing the strings takes a bit longer.I like only doing it six times a year or so

JayBee1404 04-28-2024 02:47 AM

When I was gigging (I ‘retired’ at the end of 2022) I put on a new set before every gig, because I like the sound of fresh strings and to reduce the possibility of string-breaks - it’s at least thirty years since I broke a string during play, either at a gig, or session/jam, or at home.

Prevention is always better than a cure IMHO.

Robin, Wales 04-28-2024 04:58 AM

I was fingerpicking at a gig last night (thumb pick and nickel fingerpicks). The strings on my guitar are at least 18 months old and well gigged - they sound good and intonate just fine. But they are a monel set, and that makes a big difference to longevity.

abn556 04-28-2024 06:59 AM

I know people who change them all the time as well. I personally don’t like brand new strings and think they need a few days or more to be played in. I change them when the Low E gets really thumpy and they start to get hard to tune.

Merak 04-28-2024 08:18 AM

You might consider Elixirs for your twelve string. I’ve had a set on for a year or more and still sound great. I’ve been using uncoated strings but am going back to elixirs.

EZYPIKINS 04-28-2024 08:47 AM

When I was gigging steady. I would change strings on all pertinent guitars every Sunday.

I'm not gigging as much today. But I change strings, and batteries, a couple days before the gig.

I like my strings fresh.

L20A 04-28-2024 02:55 PM

I used to always put on a new set of strings before a gig. Then I realized that I was probably the only one that noticed. These days, I change strings when they start to sound dull and get hard to tune.

nostatic 04-28-2024 04:31 PM

I run coated (usually XS), so not that often. Gigging about once a week, I may go 6 months before changing them. It really is only when the sound goes south. The coated tend to feel of for a long time.

Doug Young 04-28-2024 04:37 PM

I just had a fun string-changing experience. I was teaching at a guitar camp this week, and someone suggested we do a string-changing demo for people, show how it's done. Our volunteer, to have his strings changed had a nice Guild dread. Guy didn't know when he had last changed strings, maybe 10 years ago? :-) Black and crusty. People were betting on whether I'd need a tetanus shot after touching them. Anyway, we went the the process, etc, and he ended up with a nice new shiny set of D'Addarios. The guy was floored, he couldn't believe how good the guitar sounded, how much louder, brighter, sustaining, etc.

Might be a bit of an extreme case, but when they're black, sticky and grundgy, that's too long :-)