The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who makes Elixir strings? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434828)

Sonics 06-29-2016 01:45 PM

Who makes Elixir strings?

I have a question. Gore are in the waterproof fabric business and I know they provide the coating technology, but who actually manufactures the strings? Is it D'addario as most people have speculated?

I appreciate there are only a handful of string manufacturers who make strings for other brands, but I'm curious.

Kupuna50 06-29-2016 03:21 PM

Elixir

Elixir strings are made by Gore Industries.
My best bud is a former engineer for Gore who worked on the Elixir string brand for almost 10 years.
He is a world of knowledge about strings and their physical properties and how those properties translate into tone.
Hope this helps.

jzach46 06-29-2016 03:50 PM

When they first came on the market, they were made by D'Addario and made no secret of it. They could very well make their own now.

Sonics 06-29-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kupuna50 (Post 4986617)
My best bud is a former engineer for Gore who worked on the Elixir string brand for almost 10 years.
He is a world of knowledge about strings and their physical properties and how those properties translate into tone.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, I checked and found the Gore-Tex factory tour video (Elkton, Maryland), but I could not find a video, picture or location for the Elixir factory. However, I did find this thread:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=238710&page=2

Interestingly the D'addario guy admitted that they did not make Dean Markley strings but was REAL quiet on subject of Elixir.

Wade Hampton 06-29-2016 04:37 PM

It's possible that they now have their own string winding plant, but my understanding has been that it's been both D'Addario and GHS over the years who have supplied them with strings.

That's nothing more than idle rumor, though, so don't take it as gospel.

whm

srick 06-29-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Kapuna - would it be too much to ask him to join is on agf and perhaps provide a primer? So many times I see the forum falling prey to marketing hype and myth.

Best,

Rick

rgregg48 06-29-2016 05:55 PM

I always assumed Elixir strings were made by D'Addario since all of their sets pretty much mirrored Daddario gauges to the letter.

rick-slo 06-29-2016 06:04 PM

Gore Tex developed the coating, maybe even applies it. Metallurgy of the strings probably via other source(s) (as mentioned above).

cooper59 06-29-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgregg48 (Post 4986790)
I always assumed Elixir strings were made by D'Addario since all of their sets pretty much mirrored Daddario gauges to the letter.

99.9999999999999% of all strings mirror all the same gages.

Blind Dog 06-29-2016 07:37 PM

I've understood them to be D'Addario strings, with a Gore coating applied by Gore.

Vee_Voe 06-29-2016 08:12 PM

Gore is known to make strings for tennis racquets as well, there is a string called synthetic gut which is very similar to what would go on a nylon classical. So making Elixirs isn't too far off :)

Mick Peel 06-30-2016 02:48 AM

William Gore was (is?) head of a company in Scotland that some years ago devised the 'Gore-tex' fabric. This was and still is a fabric used in outdoor and hiking clothing and has fantastic weatherproofing and breathability. It was apparent that this technology could be used in other applications one of which was obviously guitar strings due to it's moisture repelling properties. The company allow their product to be used under licence in various applications and industries. When you think of what it's used for world wide the company must be worth a fortune! Wish I had shares in it. :(

Silly Moustache 06-30-2016 03:23 AM

I have often wondered how many string winding businesses there were/are compared to the many brands.

I cannot believe that every brand (esp. guitar brand makes - apart from Martin) winds its own strings.

However, I believe I saw/read/heard something about a large maker (probably D'addario) who made strings branded for anther maker that whilst they made them - they were not necessarily identical to D'addario branded strings: steel and winding qualities and diameters may vary between what D'addario markets and what their trade clients demand.

Collings uses D'addario strings. The folks on the Collings forum rave about John Pearse strings. I have tried JP strings and found them perfectly OK, but far more expensive, and not hermetically sealed.

Jim Dunlop pb strings are hermetically sealed and I "tend" to prefer them on Dobro and mandolin, but not by much.

D'adds can be bought in 3 packs and 10 packs. I mostly buy my strings on ebay now. I've learnt which suppliers sell new stock and post quickly.

I've also learnt (from D'addario) that strings "go off" after abut two years - even if hermetically sealed. Whilst they don't put a "best before" date on strings, they do change the packaging style every so often ....I regard this as a clue.

travisbrown 06-30-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Hope this helps.

So, what you are saying is Gore makes the strings?

I love that this is the second post and most assured answer to the OP offering firsthand knowledge, and then there is a spiral of following posts following offering other supposition and conjecture as if this post didn't even exist.

Kapuna50's post is the first thing you pass racing for the reply button.

srick 06-30-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travisbrown (Post 4987350)
So, what you are saying is Gore makes the strings?

I love that this is the second post and most assured answer to the OP offering firsthand knowledge, and then there is a spiral of following posts following offering other supposition and conjecture as if this post didn't even exist.

Kapuna50's post is the first thing you pass racing for the reply button.

That's a fairly common phenomena on the AGF!