The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Reverb Counter Offer (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519932)

Mr. Jelly 08-27-2018 06:16 PM

Reverb Counter Offer

So I made an offer for a guitar on Reverb. Then I start thinking and that's usually not a good thing for anybody. My mind's reeling about should, shouldn'ts good deal, bad deal and I don't need another guitar. You know how it goes. But I'm okay with it. Then they counter offer for $50! I guess I'll think it over for a day. I'm kind of out of the mood now. I played my guitars all after noon and another guitar is just another sound a little different than the sounds I have. I'm really thinking they did me a favor but we'll see.

guitararmy 08-27-2018 07:53 PM

Speaking of counter offers, my only unpleasant experience on Reverb had to do with my not making a counter offer.
I made an inquiry as to whether a certain guitar was still available, and was insulted by the seller for not making a counter offer...

At least you aren't committed to buying it yet...

v32 finish 08-27-2018 08:17 PM

i made an offer on reverb for a couple hundred less than asking, which was already low. I fully expected a counter offer, which I planned on being my reason to keep looking around and just kinda.. didn't plan on anything happening.

you can imagine my dismay (and delight) when the offer was accepted and 20 mins later my bank acct. was mysteriously low on funds and there was a Gibson on its way across the country..

Good times. Now I don't click unless I'm *sure* that I'm sure, but I don't regret that I did! If you aren't sure, then don't worry, as you're not committed; ...can you counter-counter-offer? :) Offer them $20 and see what they say. (LOL. don't mind me. )

guitar george 08-27-2018 08:37 PM

Legally, the one nice thing about a counter offer is that it nullifies the original offer. This gives the buyer more time to consider. Even with property purchases it is often nice to get a counter offer to give the buyer more time to consider. You can always make the same offer again if you want to. Minor changes are not always considered deal breakers. To make minor items legal, terms like "time is of the essence" should be used in the original offer.

ataylor 08-27-2018 08:47 PM

What kind of guitar? $50 seems like a great deal if it’s not a home-relic Esteban or something...

;)

Mr. Jelly 08-28-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v32 finish (Post 5820854)
...can you counter-counter-offer? :) Offer them $20 and see what they say. (LOL. don't mind me. )

That is funny :D I would but then I'd have to buy it. I'm pretty much over this guitar …. I've been blessed by fate yet again.

They were asking $2,400 for it plus $100 shipping. I bid $2,200.

Rumblefish 08-28-2018 06:25 AM

I once made an offer and then bought the guitar for full price before the seller responded to my offer:)

Montesdad 08-28-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumblefish (Post 5821044)
I once made an offer and then bought the guitar for full price before the seller responded to my offer:)

A wise man knows a good deal when he sees it -
Looks like you corrected yourself and your desire to get it for less, seizing the opportunity.

jaan 08-28-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly (Post 5821007)
That is funny :D I would but then I'd have to buy it. I'm pretty much over this guitar …. I've been blessed by fate yet again.

If a seller doesn’t take an offer of 90% of what they are asking, for a homogeneous guitar, they either aren’t in a hurry to sell it or are unaware of the many choices available nowadays used.

ChrisN 08-28-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montesdad (Post 5821053)
A wise man knows a good deal when he sees it -
Looks like you corrected yourself and your desire to get it for less, seizing the opportunity.

Correct. For those who don't know, making an offer does not mean the item can't be sold until your offer time (24 hrs for seller to respond) expires. You could make your offer and a "I'll take it at the offer price" buyer could scoop it away - the seller would be obligated to sell at that point. Make offer = be prepared to lose it.

Guildman 08-28-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

That sounds pretty standard for that starting price vs a 1200.00 guitar. Your offer was only about 8% less than asking.

taylorgtr 08-28-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

That's in the ballpark, so I'm surprised they didn't counter...but then again, they may not want to sell below the posted price, and are willing to take a chance that you won't counter.

I've turned down lots of counter offers, but never really got out of joint because it was too low...I just rejected and didn't counter. If they want to make a higher offer, they will.

I've also made offers on guitars that I was surprised that the seller accepted. Just goes to show you can't predict what will happen.

When the offer is WAY too low, and they still proceed to lowball after it's rejected...I'll tell them -

"I'll donate it, just so you can't have it."

Gordon Currie 08-28-2018 03:45 PM

I guess I don't understand making an offer when you don't truly mean it.

I see offers, bids, agreements of any kind as a reflection of my integrity, and I value my integrity.

Beakybird 08-28-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Currie (Post 5821496)
I guess I don't understand making an offer when you don't truly mean it.

I see offers, bids, agreements of any kind as a reflection of my integrity, and I value my integrity.

The OP didn't try to renege. So I don't understand your point.

HeyMikey 08-28-2018 03:50 PM

More than once I’ve made a a reasonable offer (10-15%) on something, the seller countered, I countered back with my original offer saying it was my best price, and they accepted. Other times though they did not. Depends how much you really want it and how much they don’t.