The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thread reply notificaton? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152232)

mhs 04-18-2009 12:52 PM

Thread reply notificaton?

Just curious: I think that when I first joined this group, that I used to receive some notification that someone had replied to a thread I'd been involved in.

Is that no longer true? I'm just realizing that I've not noticed anything like that in a long time.

Thanks.

66strummer 04-18-2009 01:01 PM

Oh like email notifications on Youtube and Face Book? I've never noticed it here except for the PM notification up in the right hand corner (only when you're logged in)....

Never seen a notification for threads, but I've only been a member for a year now.

mhs 04-18-2009 01:26 PM

Ok, thanks.

I was probably mistaken.

Broadus 04-18-2009 01:55 PM

No, you're not mistaken. Email notification for responses to threads is very much a valuable thing to me and is available.

Somewhere in your User CP is an option to allow for instant email notification whenever someone responds to a thread in which you posted or to a thread to which you've otherwise subscribed.

The problem is that some email services are over-zealous in filtering junk mail, and AGF seems to trip such filtering. I had to set up a Gmail account for my AGF notification because my Bellsouth email service quit allowing AGF through. Others have had the same problem with other email servers.

Here is a thread I started some time back about the issue and how several of us were able to get email notifications restored.

Best,
Bill

hnuuhiwa 04-18-2009 02:08 PM

Same thing happened to me....I used to get it on my Roadrunner account then they started filtering so I stopped receiving them. Changed to gmail and everything works fine.

mmmaak 04-18-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papol (Post 1817937)
Just curious: I think that when I first joined this group, that I used to receive some notification that someone had replied to a thread I'd been involved in.

Is that no longer true? I'm just realizing that I've not noticed anything like that in a long time.

Thanks.

It works, but is occasionally erratic (assuming my Gmail works fine). Also, remember that you have to be logged-in to the forums to receive further notifications :)

mhs 04-18-2009 02:21 PM

Locked out

Thanks for the help, all:

This is the guy that started this thread, Papol, using some other account I'd created awhile back.

I followed the advice given, changed my email address to a gmail account, and can no longer reply to any thread. It says I've either been disabled, or don't have required permissions.

All I changed was that email address.

So, I guess I'll be Hashi for awhile,

I do appreciate all the replies and help. Who is it I should contact to repair my regular logon here?

Broadus 04-18-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hashi (Post 1818020)
Thanks for the help, all:

This is the guy that started this thread, Papol, using some other account I'd created awhile back.

I followed the advice given, changed my email address to a gmail account, and can no longer reply to any thread. It says I've either been disabled, or don't have required permissions.

All I changed was that email address.

So, I guess I'll be Hashi for awhile,

I do appreciate all the replies and help. Who is it I should contact to repair my regular logon here?

Contact one of the moderators about your change of email address. That tidbit of necessary info is in the thread I linked for you. ;)

Bill

mhs 04-18-2009 02:59 PM

Ok, Bill: Will do, again thanks.

Broadus 04-18-2009 03:01 PM

You're welcome. Hope you get it all straightened out. Not having email notification is such a nuisance if you want to stay involved with a thread.

Bill

mhs 04-18-2009 03:03 PM

That's what I thought, but it was so long since I had a free day to do things like this, that I must have forgotten ;)

Anyway, I just sent a PM to Cotten, who I think is a mod.

taylorcc 04-18-2009 06:11 PM

Unable to post

Hashi,

Found this in the thread Broadus mentioned. It may be the cause of your problem.

"Just wanted to let you know.... If you change your e-mail address and you do not receive the e-mail to reactivate your account, your will loose all posting ability until you contact me via the "contact us" e-mail link at the bottom of the forum. I have had to reactivate several accounts due to this issue...

Also, If you decide to change your e-mail address... send me a PM (or e-mail) before you change it, and I will check your account and reactivate your account if there was a issue.

Darrel
AGF Tech Support Mod"

mhs 04-18-2009 08:21 PM

I seem to be back

Hello.

Thanks everyone. Some strange combination of what everyone said helped me get reconnected (well that and an email to Cotten).

Broadus 04-18-2009 08:39 PM

Glad to hear it. "Strange combinations" and emails to Cotten are what AGF is all about. ;)

Bill

Darrel 04-19-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papol (Post 1818297)
Hello.

Thanks everyone. Some strange combination of what everyone said helped me get reconnected (well that and an email to Cotten).

I reactivated your account and I see that your account is working again... ;)

Everyone.... If you plan to change your e-mail address, let me know before you change it. Then I can check for an issue and reactivate your account. You can contact me via PM or the contact us e-mail account (link located at the bottom of the forum page.

This will save you a few headaches.

Darrel