The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   RIP Forrest Richard Betts (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684735)

Bob Womack 04-18-2024 10:30 AM

RIP Forrest Richard Betts

Dickey Betts has passed after a period of declining health. More HERE. I'm sad to see him go. He was an influence on me, with his melodic playing style.

Bob

darylcrisp 04-18-2024 10:34 AM

Thanks for posting Bob, and same here,was a huge influence.
d

dnf777 04-18-2024 10:41 AM

Just saw that. His passing closes a big chapter in our music world. His influence is hard to measure.

rmp 04-18-2024 10:48 AM

I just saw this too

I learned A LOT from listening to this guy.

One of my hereos along with his brutha Duanne.

rip Dickey

David Eastwood 04-18-2024 10:52 AM

This is very sad. He was a wonderfully lyrical player - Eat A Peach remains a seminal moment in my musical life and education.

SCVJ 04-18-2024 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear this. I was a big fan. I'll never forget the first time I heard their first album. The FM station (KUT) based at the U of Texas in Austin had an "underground" segment every night from 11PM til 12 or 1AM when I was there in '69-'71. I would put it on the stereo in the living room and listen until falling asleep. I remember wondering who was playing, and got out of bed and sat in my underwear in front of the speakers until they finally announced it.

Then, several months later (Sept '70) the University put on a festival in the outfield of the baseball stadium. The ABB wasn't the opener, they were 2nd to play. Then Leon Russell and then the headliner It's A Beautiful Day, who had a hit record at the time. An incredible day of music, and ABB stole the show! I'll never forget the sight of Duane and Dickie's long hair blowing from left to right while they were wailin' away on their Les Pauls as the wind picked up from a passing thunderstorm. And two drummers!

The festival was included in the "activity fee" you could opt into when you registered for the semester. IIRC it was $83, and included tix to all home games, plus music stuff like this. Also saw The Youngbloods and Little Richard open for Janis Joplin.

Incredible times, so sorry to lose these artists.

mr. beaumont 04-18-2024 11:05 AM

I spent countless hours in high school lifting licks from Dickey and Duane...I loved them both, but I always kind of leaned Dickey as I couldn't pull off what Duane was doing when he played slide...

Rest in Peace Dickey. You're one of the reasons I decided to really learn how to play this thing.

Murphy Slaw 04-18-2024 11:08 AM

Gotta go play "Pony Boy".

I wish he'd done more acoustic stuff.

BigTim 04-18-2024 11:17 AM

Terrible.....my cousin and I were just talking about him too
.he was a great player

Bob Womack 04-18-2024 11:17 AM

I'm just glad that he and Gregg were able to reconcile.

Bob

rmp 04-18-2024 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 7446224)
I spent countless hours in high school lifting licks from Dickey and Duane...I loved them both, but I always kind of leaned Dickey as I couldn't pull off what Duane was doing when he played slide...

Rest in Peace Dickey. You're one of the reasons I decided to really learn how to play this thing.

RIGHT

So how many Live at the Fillmore East albums did you destroy stealing his licks? me? I went thru three of them... the days of the turntable cue arm, ahh good times.... goooooooooooood times

HFox 04-18-2024 11:45 AM

Huge influence on all us Southern Pickers.........My ringtone is "Jessica"..
Eat A Peach is a seminal Album of Southern Rock.
R.I.P. Richard.

martinlover 04-18-2024 11:47 AM

R.I.P Dickey Betts

R.I.P Dickey Betts. Allman brothers band co-guitarist and co-founder. THE best of the Southern Rock Bands IMO. I literally wore out the 8 Track tape of “Live at Fillmore East”.

Gee Man 04-18-2024 11:54 AM

Been playing ABB all day here since I heard the news this morning. What a great talent, the rock and roll world would not be the same without him. RIP good sir.

abn556 04-18-2024 11:56 AM

The early ABB Live at the Fillmore was a gigantic album for me. I couldn’t even imagine how many hours I spent listening to the early ABB albums. After Duane died many people wondered how they would make it and DB responded with songs like Ramblin’ Man and Blue Sky. Really great country rock style melodic playing.