The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   GS Mini Spruce Versus Hog Top AB Test (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240192)

Mkel12 01-27-2012 08:14 PM

GS Mini Spruce Versus Hog Top AB Test

http://soundcloud.com/mike-kelly-4/gs-mini-ab-test

Here is a comparison of the tones from my 8 month old spruce top mini and my 2 day old mahogany top mini.

patticake 01-27-2012 08:22 PM

both sound purty good - thanks for the A/B. the spruce topped version seems a little clearer than the mahogany. is the mahogany version a laminate top?

btw, that's some nice playing. i particularly liked your fingerstyle :)

Taylor339 01-27-2012 08:40 PM

Well done sir. I think you could make a cigar box guitar sound good but I liked the spruce. I have a spruce top coming next week and I have never played one. I bet that hog will sound great when it fully opens up.

mickey66 01-27-2012 08:45 PM

GS Mini

I agree with PattiCake! The GS Mini M is a solid Top Guitar just like the GS Mini. I spoke with a Taylor Rep today about this subject. The answer is to have one of each EDIT.....Forgot to add....Nice play n' you make both sound great! I own a GS Mini spruce top but sometime this year I'll get that Hog Top Mini.

Mkel12 01-27-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patticake (Post 2914791)
both sound purty good - thanks for the A/B. the spruce topped version seems a little clearer than the mahogany. is the mahogany version a laminate top?

btw, that's some nice playing. i particularly liked your fingerstyle :)

The mahogany top is solid. Thank you for the kind words!

Bill R 01-27-2012 09:11 PM

Yes, thank you for the comparison - well played I might add. With the intro of the mahogany topped GSmini, this is certainly a topic of much interest. This will undoubtedly be helpful to many folks considering spruce vs mahogany tops.
Bill

brencat 01-27-2012 09:37 PM

Great playing! I have to give the edge to the spruce top here... more overtones which I personally like.

Actually I just went to youtube to listen to a few samples and I can't believe how good this 3/4 guitar sounds...amazing! This one will be on the short list for my young son and daughter to learn on ;)

mickey66 01-27-2012 10:02 PM

Spruce vs Hog GS Mini

Heck....I hope Taylor comes out with a Cedar Top GS Mini(Western Red Cedar).

crazyomjm 01-28-2012 12:16 AM

great playing :) I think both of the guitar sounded quite nice in the recording. think i am happy to keep my spruce GS mini.. and might add the hog sibling later down the line! :D

rbbambino 01-28-2012 05:21 AM

I pretty much agree with the previous replies.. Certainly about your playing.. Great.. I'm surprised at how constrained the mahogany top sounds. It almost has a muffled sound compared to the spruce top. I suppose that will change as it opens up, but I would guess the spruce top will always have more sparkle. Thanks for the A/B..

LiveMusic 01-28-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkel12 (Post 2914784)

Here is a comparison of the tones from my 8 month old spruce top mini and my 2 day old mahogany top mini.

Hi, you are very good player! Why do you own G S Mini, what's the draw for you? (Sounds surprisingly good!) I prefer the spruce, btw.

Mkel12 01-28-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveMusic (Post 2915066)
Hi, you are very good player! Why do you own G S Mini, what's the draw for you? (Sounds surprisingly good!) I prefer the spruce, btw.

Wow. I appreciate all the compliments. The draw for me on the mini is:
1) size / ease of travel
2) ease of play - if you have not played one, try it if you can... you will be amazed!
3) recording studio tone value per dollar invested - this is the biggest draw for me. I would put a mini up against some of Taylor's (or any other company's) more expensive models in a recording studio. There is something about these little beasts that translates perfectly in the studio. The Mini takes up little room, and having one in standard and one in Open D or Open G makes for quicker/easier track recordings. I will never give up my Martin D-18 or Taylor 814ce for playing around the table with friends, but the Mini has definitely found a niche in my music.

RAD3 01-28-2012 10:10 AM

I actually prefer the sound of the Hog top. I don't really hear a loss of clarity and really like the warmth. I think it would be a better guitar to sing folky stuff with.

really nice recordings...both sound very good for the size of the guitar. Impressive.

mblackdog27 01-28-2012 11:39 AM

thank you for the comparison. great playing too.

-black

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 01-28-2012 11:56 AM

One of the best A/B comparisons I have heard Mike. Through my headphones the Spruce had more clarity while the hog top has more warmth but they are certainly quite close tonally.

I would love for you to do this again in a few month after the Mahogany has had time to open up. In fact I would love to hear the difference between this recording of the new hog top mini and after it has opened up.

Thank you Mike!

patticake 01-28-2012 12:10 PM

hey, ted - can you confirm that the mahogany top version is solid? it's listed where i've seen it as "Tropical mahogany top" where the spruce top version is listed the same places as having a "Solid Sitka Spruce" top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarpman (Post 2915338)
One of the best A/B comparisons I have heard Mike. Through my headphones the Spruce had more clarity while the hog top has more warmth but they are certainly quite close tonally.

I would love for you to do this again in a few month after the Mahogany has had time to open up. In fact I would love to hear the difference between this recording of the new hog top mini and after it has opened up.

Thank you Mike!

Nimblefingers 01-28-2012 12:43 PM

Anybody who talks bad about the GS Mini obviously hasn't played one. It's been one of my all time favorites in my collection. So easy to play... Especially for me since I've had multiple shoulder sugeries. That aside... My buddy thinks it sounds better than his full size Taylor and I agree! They are light and portable... I wish Taylor would make a high end model of the GS Mini!

Glennwillow 01-28-2012 01:00 PM

Hi Mike,

That was really enjoyable! Really good playing and an excellent comparison of the guitars. I can see the value of both spruce and mahogany tops for different kinds of playing. I am one who has had no interest in playing the Taylor GS Mini, even though I own 3 other Taylor models. But your sound file has made me rethink my lack of interest. I am going to have to try out this GS Mini now.

- Glenn

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 01-28-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patticake (Post 2915359)
hey, ted - can you confirm that the mahogany top version is solid? it's listed where i've seen it as "Tropical mahogany top" where the spruce top version is listed the same places as having a "Solid Sitka Spruce" top.

Yes Patti, the soundboard is solid Mahogany.

patticake 01-28-2012 01:23 PM

definitely try one if you get the chance. i was quite surprised by how good the gs mini spruce sounds in person. i guess i was expecting something like the baby taylor or at least a smaller sound, but the gs mini really does sound good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 2915409)
Hi Mike,

That was really enjoyable! Really good playing and an excellent comparison of the guitars. I can see the value of both spruce and mahogany tops for different kinds of playing. I am one has had no interest in playing the Taylor GS Mini, even though I own 3 other Taylor models. But your sound file has made me rethink my lack of interest. I am going to have to try out this GS Mini now.

- Glenn

gotta try one of those in person.

now if only taylor would come out with a 1 3/4" nut version...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarpman (Post 2915410)
Yes Patti, the soundboard is solid Mahogany.

zmf 01-28-2012 01:34 PM

Wow. Nice playing and nice sound. I was so ignorant that I thought the GS mini wasn't a "real" guitar.

andyi5 01-28-2012 02:37 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Interesting how some folks prefer the hog and some the spruce. They're both great guitars. I love the sound and look of my spruce top but very keen to have a play on a hog when I run across one.

Godfather 01-28-2012 09:14 PM

Very nice, thank you for the A/B comparison.

ahorsewithnonam 01-28-2012 09:21 PM

Mine...sorr fixed linc

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7GG...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad

claytonh 01-29-2012 04:42 AM

awesome playing and awesome comparison... both sound great, but I'm glad I have a spruce gs mini

rbbambino 01-29-2012 05:02 AM

After listening to the clip again.... I've definitely warmed up to the mahogany top (pun intended).. it definitely has a warm and mellow sound that I like. They both sound incredible for small body short scale guitars. I've heard that the clip in PU isn't that good, but I think it depends on playing style.
Again... great playing. Thanks.

naolslager 01-29-2012 06:10 AM

Mkel12,
Based on YOUR playing I'd buy both! Thanks for the well-down A/B.
dj

dgaemc2 01-29-2012 12:47 PM

I purchased my spruce top mini in Oct. 2011, and continue to be very pleased with its sound, feel and intonation!

Yesterday, I went to my local Taylor shop to see if they had a Mini Hog, and much to my delight....they had just received one the day prior. I played it for about 45 minutes.....both strumming with pick and fingerstyle. This guitar sounded really nice to me and others that were in the store. It definitely offers a "warmer" sound and doesn't project quite as well as the Spruce top mini......especially when playing fingerstyle. It's warmer sound offers a nicety and uniqueness of its own that is very satisfying to play. Setup and intonation were fantastic and felt great in my hands.

Guess what......there was no way I was going to leave the store without buying it!! :D

Some will ask.....which do I like better? My answer is BOTH, but for different playing styles and sounds. Those that prefer the typical brighter Taylor sound will probably prefer the spruce top....those that prefer a warmer and possibly richer sound for lack of a better description will probably prefer the mahogony. Both sound great to me and are very fun/inspiring to play! :D

BTW....nice playing OP! I also really liked the A/B comparison video by fazio!!

ahorsewithnonam 01-29-2012 01:01 PM

Fixed my link above. Had wrong video before.

Konklifer 01-29-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkel12 (Post 2914784)

This is exactly what I was looking for. Great comparison and excellent playing.