The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best Guitar for the Money (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214384)

Gostwriter 04-20-2011 09:03 PM

Best Guitar for the Money

Who do you think builds the best all around acoustic electric guitars for the entry level market, when it comes to tone woods, nut and saddle materials, tuning keys, neck, fit & finish etc? I would think the list would include

Seagull
Simon & Patrick
Boulder Creek
Breedlove
Yamaha
Takamine
maybe Guild or Ovation?

lone eskimo 04-20-2011 11:23 PM

Taylor 110's are pretty amazing. I sold mine to a student because I picked up a nice used 314ce with a custom ordered Mahogany top. Try as I might- I couldn't find one flaw on that guitar. I loved playing it unplugged- but struggled a tad with the ES-T pick-up. It was good for smaller gigs but I couldn't dial it in for our larger gigs...

I played a Martin 000X1CE that I liked a lot too. Some of the newer lower end Breedloves with the square headstocks are pretty nice for the price.

Mike:)

Rick Jones 04-21-2011 02:19 AM

I can't say for fear of sounding like a Shill, bloomin' internet!

I will say all levels of Yamaha are very well thought through, from design to build quality, and you're pretty hard to beat them for the money.

RP 04-21-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Jones (Post 2590448)

I will say all levels of Yamaha are very well thought through, from design to build quality, and you're pretty hard to beat them for the money.

I agree and would call Takamine a very close second...

GibbyPrague 04-21-2011 05:25 AM

Yeah, I played a 114 yesterday that was fantastic, and I dont even like Taylors ...lol !

Yamaha, Seagull and Cort all work well for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lone eskimo (Post 2590411)
Taylor 110's are pretty amazing. I sold mine to a student because I picked up a nice used 314ce with a custom ordered Mahogany top. Try as I might- I couldn't find one flaw on that guitar. I loved playing it unplugged- but struggled a tad with the ES-T pick-up. It was good for smaller gigs but I couldn't dial it in for our larger gigs...

I played a Martin 000X1CE that I liked a lot too. Some of the newer lower end Breedloves with the square headstocks are pretty nice for the price.

Mike:)

Kerbie 04-21-2011 05:28 AM

I'd probably go with the Seagull. The Taylor 110 series has never done anything for me... maybe I just can't find the right one. The Japanese entry-level guitars are a pretty good value. I can even tolerate the Martin laminates as long as the top piece is sitka spruce.

nrand 04-21-2011 05:34 AM

My Taylor is tops, but for pretty small coin you can get an excellent used Takamine, very versatile and great plugged in. I actually use my Tak more than my Taylor when gigging, the Taylor is used more for special items. My Takamine is solid Rosewood/Spruce with a very durable finish and I paid XXX. The same specs on a Taylor will be much much more . . XXXX.

jmjohnson 04-21-2011 06:59 AM

I think my Martin OM-1 was a good buy.

Can you define "entry level market"?

ljguitar 04-21-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gostwriter (Post 2590292)
Who do you think builds the best all around acoustic electric guitars for the entry level market, when it comes to tone woods, nut and saddle materials, tuning keys, neck, fit & finish etc?

Hi Gw…
Harvey Leach.

I think either of the entry level Voyage-Air models (all laminate or solid top) would qualify as the best beginner guitars. Great construction, good action, solid ''light'' build, with the ability to grow with the player and be retained in the ''herd''.

stratokatsu 04-21-2011 07:24 AM

I'd go with Yamaha at the lower end of the entry price spectrum, though I've seen some pretty nice Epiphones lately.

Up one step in price, I'd go along with people who like the 100 series Taylors. (Nothing wrong with the 200 series either) I recently bought a 110 to be sort of my couch guitar, but the tone seems to be something that just strikes me the right way. Between that and my Martin dread, I feel like I have enough of the tonal spectrum covered and it's becoming apparent that I'm not playing other acoustics I have all that much anymore.

IMHO - The 110e, at a slightly higher price, (versus using a soundhole pickup), is one of the best A/E guitars out there right now, better than a lot of higher end models from other brands. Obviously, YMMV...

Badfrog 04-21-2011 07:45 AM

In terms of a good "entry level" acoustic for your money I really think Yamaha does a great job. I don't know that their sound will floor you (but I'm talking about $400 or less guitars here) but I find them to be consistently good sounding guitars that are made nicely. I've played several and own one. I always find them well put together (they aren't sloppy).

I've tried several Seagulls (laminate and solid back/side models) and didn't find the sound all that appealing (could be the strings though). However, they are generally well made.

lmacmil 04-21-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrporter (Post 2590505)
I agree and would call Takamine a very close second...

I was recently playing low end guitars at GC. I preferred the EG-series Taks to the Yamahas. The selection was limited so it could have been they just didn't have the right Yamaha. I ended up with a Takamine EG363SC and am very happy with it. It's no Taylor (I absolutely loved the 314CE) but then it cost less than 1/3 the Taylor.

Everyone's ears are different so it's really just not possible to assume you will like what someone else likes. The only way to decide is to play as many as you can and pick the one you like.

Taylorplayer 04-21-2011 09:08 AM

No one such guitar for me to recommend. There are so many good values now. For anyone just starting, I say: Choose one that is easy to play, and then play it!

Gypsyblue 04-21-2011 09:39 AM

Blueridge BR-163. I have some $2000 guitars but my Blueridge cost me about $XXX with hardshell case and sounds like a $2000 guitar. Did need some set up work (saddle and nut work) to make it play like a $2000 guitar but it sounded like a $2000 guitar right from the get go.

jonathanvaljean 04-21-2011 09:45 AM

Gostwriter,

I have long thought that the Yamaha LL6 really provides a lot of bang for the buck, used models even moreso. In fact, it is the guitar that I recommend to my beginning guitar students.

Cheers!

Jonathan