The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gibson J-45 60s Wine Red or Ebony - Thoughts? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683481)

SalFromChatham 03-21-2024 03:35 AM

Gibson J-45 60s Wine Red or Ebony - Thoughts?

Have any of you bought one of these reissues?

I’ve never tried a Gibson J-45 with the adjustable saddle. They have an 11/16 neck, which likely works for me. Just curious how they sound? I know there is a school that thinks all of these saddles should be converted to a fixed one, but I’d love a real world tonal opinion. Thanks!

Proclaimer888 03-21-2024 05:32 AM

Had the wine red colored one.....great guitar. 2022 year. Sounded like a J45. I actually liked the adjustable saddle...easy to dial the guitar in. You can find them just a bit cheaper than standard J45 with fixed saddle as I am guessing the some don't appreciate the adjustable saddles. IMO they sound great!! I could not hear any describable differences between the fixed and adjustable saddles. I recommend you play one if you have the chance. Look at Guitar center used site. You can have one sent to your local center and try one out and if you don't like it, no worries as you don't but it! I regret getting rid of mine but its what I do!!

robey 03-21-2024 05:57 AM

Black guitars sound better. It’s science.

Tunesalot 03-21-2024 06:13 AM

Just like cars, the red ones go faster.

rollypolly 03-21-2024 06:17 AM

I tried one out and it felt and sounded tight and restricted, perhaps overbuilt just a little. I wasn’t a fan, but maybe it just needed lighter strings.

Jim Owen 03-21-2024 06:57 AM

Hi Brother Sal,
I love the look of the wine red. One of my buddies back in the day had the cherry 45 with the white guard—I’m thinking he sold it to Tift Merrit.

I’m neutral as to the adj system—I’d rather not have it, but I occasionally play a buddy’s 60s J 50 ADJ, and it sounds just dandy.

Jim Owen 03-21-2024 06:59 AM

P.S. Black shows every smudge, finger print, etc. Either polish a lot or live with it.

mbrewer 03-21-2024 11:04 AM

To me the ebony looks off. It's like they forgot the amber part of the sunburst which is a traditional iconic trait of the J45. I'd go with the Wine Red.

broy 03-21-2024 11:41 AM

that wine red is a fine looking guitar.

Charlie Bernstein 03-21-2024 12:01 PM

I haven't bought either. Both colors are gorgeous. Top color is usually by chance. For example, I just bought a cherry-burst dread, not for the color, but for the make and model — though I admit it's pretty.

Although unless there ar big neck differences, we know the two J-45s are similar enough that the biggest difference is most likely the color. And when chosing between based on color, it's a personal statement.

So who are you? Red for revolution, black for anarchy. Red for passion, black for elegance. Red for the light of day, black for the dark of night.

Let us know which you go with. As always, operators are standing by!

abn556 03-21-2024 12:15 PM

I played a Custom Shop J-45 recently at Fullers with an adjustable bridge. I thought it sounded great.

zombywoof 03-21-2024 12:27 PM

Admittedly, I am not a fan of those guitars but that is because I cannot get past what may just be the skimpiest neck carve ever to grace a Bozeman-made slope shoulder jumbo. Clocking in at around a depth of .81" at the 1st fret, baby just ain't got enough back to put me into my comfort zone.

As to sound, I tend to see the ADJ saddle bridge guitars as being different rather than good or bad. Just another flavor. If there is one thing that I do appreciate about the ADJ bridge is that it increases the amount of attack you hear. But the trade-off is you give up some of the bloom as the string vibrations only have those two screws to travel down.

SalFromChatham 03-21-2024 03:18 PM

Thank you team.

WFO! 03-21-2024 04:10 PM

Ebony for me. This isn't my best take but the red looks to me more like toy guitar <ducks for cover>? I think the black looks sharp. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Br1ck 03-21-2024 04:21 PM

Aren't guitars toys?